Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric wiper motor and switch connection
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
I pulled the electric wiper motor out of my custom clipper
The cable switch attachment is literally corroded mess.
My question is, im putting the motor on my clipper super witch had a vacuum motor. Is the switch interchangeable from vacuum to electric?
Or would i have to find a specific one?
Thanks
Edgar

Posted on: 2023/6/7 5:27

keep 'em guessing with a smile...
 Top  Print   

Re: Electric wiper motor and switch connection
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The cable will fit if its the gm wiper motor.

Posted on: 2023/6/7 6:48
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The only electric motor of the era I am aware of that was a direct bolt in is the one used on the 55-6 Chevy. If your motor is the style in the photo then the Packard switch cable will fit with no issues. The screw and washer visible next to the plastic slider in the photo is covering the upper channel where the cable housing will be positioned and fastened.

Over the years that particular Chevy motor became expensive and somewhat hard to find so other motors were sometimes modified or pieces cobbled together to make them workable. If your motor is anything other than the one in the photo then you will need to compare the two control methods or experiment to find out what was or can be done to use the Packard cable.

If you have the Chevy motor, to install the cable turn the switch a little bit in the on direction so the wire and small captured washer on the wire end is moved away from the cable housing. Slide the wire end and washer into the groove in the plastic slider piece on the motor. Making sure the switch slider is in the off position then gently turn the wiper switch back to off. That will retract the wire so the end of the cable housing is near the slider. Making sure the motor slider in still in the off position and washer is in the slider groove lay the cable housing in the upper channel on the motor and install and tighen the screw and washer to hold the cable in position.

Attach file:

jpg  55-6 Chevy motor.jpg (151.38 KB)
209_648091d3addd4.jpg 1728X1202 px

Posted on: 2023/6/7 9:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Howard, thanks for the info‼️
That’s, in fact, what I have.
So, just a couple of quick follow-up questions:

1- Would the “off “ position in the switch be pushed all the way “in” on the dash and the cable to extended outwards on the motor?

2- if not, please advise‼️

Attach file:

jpeg  2C137D4A-2A23-4AED-8874-BACC52BA888D.jpeg (260.30 KB)
858_6480fe959515a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/7 17:03

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Its going into this Packard
Which shows the vacuum motor.

Attach file:

jpeg  9991BBBC-3AE6-4602-8893-29ABC122D401.jpeg (285.30 KB)
858_648100532c914.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/6/7 17:10

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Riki, Thanks for confirming! I didn't realize that Packard didn't offer an electric motor. Always something to learn!

Posted on: 2023/6/7 17:24

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Then knob turned to the left or CCW is the off position. The wire end and washer will be very close to the cable housing. Turning the knob to the right or CW will extend the wire approximately 3/4 inch and will push the slider on the motor to the on positions. Pushing the knob in activates the optional windshield washer. The small lever at the bottom of the knob on the Packard switch is for the vacuum motor sweep range control and will not be used with an electric motor.

Your motor looks to be 57 Chevy which has a slightly different switch and slider than 55-6 but mounts almost the same. The reason it is not considered as much a drop in is because of the wiper coordinator if the car has the optional windshield washer. With the proper piece the Packard coordinator will also be drop in whereas 57 Chevys used a different setup. The Packard item would not fit and you would need the Chevy coordinator and mounting pieces.

Posted on: 2023/6/7 17:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved