Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

Packardbarry, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 120 Overheating
Just popping in
Just popping in

DennisH
See User information
My 1941 Packard 120 has started overheating. Gets to between normal & hot, & gets real hot when in stop & go driving (parade). I've been told the cooling tube may need to be replaced. Any suggestions on what to do? Flush radiator? Change thermostat? first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 14:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 120 Overheating
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The cooling distribution tube is usually brass so doesn't wear out to the point of needing to be replaced but may need to be removed and cleaned. Before going that route, though, I would try pressure-flushing the system. I'm sure that someone will post the procedures as I've not done it myself in many decades.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 14:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Radiator flush would not hurt and remove the plug near the starter motor to help drain and force flush the block at the same time as the radiator flush. The thermostat could be faulty but since it apparently started suddenly also check timing and for any vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks at the advance canister on the distributor have been found fairly often lately and something amiss there could lead to overheating.

If nothing else is found then worry about the coolant tube because that is not an easy thing to access.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 14:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day DennisH,
to PackardInfo.

Also, I invite you to include your '41 120 Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/6/26 18:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Just a point to consider. Our 49 drove us nuts until we figured out that we needed a new head gasket. It did not present in the normal manner. When all else had not solved the problem, we pulled the head and there was the problem. These old straight eights like their heads torqued once a year and act out when they don’t receive attention! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/6/26 19:16
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Don't overlook the easy stuff:

Check fan belt tension and manifold heat valve function, and make sure the radiator core is free of bugs, lint, grass seeds, dust, etc. They can embed in the air spaces of the core and be hard to see, yet still restrict air flow.

Ignition timing can affect cooling efficiency, and an inoperative distributor vacuum advance unit can contribute to overheating. The centrifugal advance unit can also malfunction or stick.

Be sure brakes are not dragging and that the tire pressure is adequate.

Posted on: 2023/6/27 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Dido on the head Gasket, my 120 was a problem till we did a valve job and a lot of torqueing the head
My guy that did the valve job show me where the leak was between the cooling channels and exhaust. Ran good but when it was hot out it pushed the needle up also when I parked it after a drive, Temp would climb and sometimes it would burp out coolant
Good luck

Posted on: 2023/6/27 14:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved