Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brakes question
Just popping in
Just popping in

Phat Jonny
See User information
I just bought a 55 Packard Clipper Custom. When I first start it the brake pedal is firm and doesn't move. After I try it a few times moving it then begins to work and I can actually brake. What could it be? I'm hoping it's not the treadle vac.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 17:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Brakes question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
One of the very first things to do when buying any car, especially a vintage one, is to thoroughly check out the brakes. Even if all the hoses look good, they may have deteriorated internally which can lead to a brake failure.

Try a pressure flush of the brake system to be sure it is all free and clear but better to replace all components now rather than waiting for a failure. A simple bleeding isn't sufficient so if you don't have a pressure bleeder, there are inexpensive ones available but you'll need to come up with a non-vented cap and build an adapter for it.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
With your symptoms it is either the vacuum check valve at the back of the carb is sticking shut and not letting vacuum through at first, or the vacuum section of the Treadlevac is gummed up.

Just to point out that a complete renovation of the brakes to bring the car up to fully standard condition will cost less than having the front bumper replaced after running into the back of the trial lawyer's Escalade.

Posted on: 2023/7/8 17:46
 Top  Print   
LikeLaugh (2)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Phat Jonny
See User information
My plan is to have the brakes brought up to par. The problem I have is I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm yet to find a person that understands the Packards. With the treadle vac system.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 19:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I hear you about being at the mercy of small town mechanics in the middle of nowhere. Just the name Packard scares many of them away.

If you find someone familiar with another brand that might be willing to at least look, here is a list of other cars that used the same Treadlevac. Perhaps a mechanic would be less skittish if you showed him the list. In those years the Packard unit should be the same as the others. Treadlevacs changed around 57 so later units are different.

Attach file:

jpeg  application.jpeg (149.91 KB)
209_64ab5b98032e7.jpeg 841X943 px

Posted on: 2023/7/9 20:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved