Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Clipper Radiator
Just popping in
Just popping in

Packrat1956
See User information
Hey all,

My 56 Clipper’s radiator is starting to leak. What are my options. I’ve heard reconditioning is pricey, are there other alternatives I can use?

Thanks,

Stu

Posted on: 2023/7/13 18:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Clipper Radiator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aside from having yours repaired or recored there are not many options. Here is one possible and maybe a slightly less expensive solution as long as you are not worried about authenticity and do not forget about the bolts. I see a mention of new brackets and fabrication was needed so maybe a personal message to Marvin would get some more details on those and the hose.

As to the lower hose fit issues mentioned, I wonder if the standard shift lower radiator hose (Napa NBH 7371) would work with the removed trans cooler. With the bottom connection being a few inches from stock location I cannot say.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 19:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Be careful if removing the trans cooler. As I understand, driving in fair weather with the converter locked up is probably fine, but extended city or hilly driving would not be recommended with the cooler missing.

Posted on: 2023/7/13 21:00
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Be careful if removing the trans cooler.

Very valid point. If I read what he did correctly, after removing the factory cooler he used the one built into the Ford radiator but if you get a radiator without a cooler be sure to keep the factory unit or add something else. One of the air cooled types mounted in front of the radiator or in some other place that will get air flow will work

Posted on: 2023/7/13 21:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Packrat1956
See User information
Here’s the radiator number, if this helps.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_6234.jpeg (264.20 KB)
226303_64b2dd751e50c.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/15 12:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved