Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New Favorite Tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Sometimes I wish I had four people to help when trying to move a car with the dollies! Once the wheels get turned correctly it's easy to move (until it hits some dust or other particle on the floor) but getting them to pivot is the difficulty.

Posted on: 2023/11/10 22:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My regular dollies have that issue as they smaller wheels. These ones have larger wheels and make moving fairly easy. That being said, I consider these moving dollies, not storage dollies. Hence why the 37 is back on the old dollies for the winter. The problem with these dollies is that they only contact the tire in two narrow spots. So if left stored on them, they dent the tire tread. My regular dollies support alot more of the, even more then the ground would. Hence why I prefer them for winter storage. But the HF ones are brilliant for moving, just don't leave the tires suspended by them.

Posted on: 2023/11/10 23:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Found this picture on FB Marketplace today. Someone using furniture dollies as shop dollies 🤔

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20231208_150359.jpg (798.48 KB)
225076_657379cb4cea1.jpg 1383X1122 px

Posted on: 12/8 15:17
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Full disclosure. I was working on my nephew's Model A and they would not take the body on the tip & Load as it had no wheels. So I looked around the shop and used a set of wheels off my Mom's walker! They had gotten worn down and the brakes would not work anymore on her walker so I put new ones on and held onto the old ones for something,...I just didn't know what! Daisy made it up to the body shop fine where I spent the next few months prepping and painting her. Wheels worked great right through until her return and placement back on the frame. She was light enough I skipped the steering/castor feature and just lifted the end I wanted to swing into position. Mom got a kick out of her old wheels use too!
The lateral 2x4's are bolted to the body with spacers and carriage bolts
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  On her way to paint-3.JPG (2,147.66 KB)
225215_65738359afe8b.jpg 2733X2131 px

jpg  4-old friends reaquainted.JPG (2,634.79 KB)
225215_6573839c35d23.jpg 3072X2304 px

Posted on: 12/8 15:59
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bob J
Looks like a very clean ‘30, or early ‘31 Murray. The holes for the cowl lights suggest a deluxe model, but the window garnish moldings would be a better tell to determine standard v. deluxe. Much like the Packard offerings the majority of the differences between the two models were in upgraded interior finishes that may not have stood the test of time. If the body is still ‘off’ you may want to document the stampings on the upper surface of the frame which are hidden when the body is installed.

For those unfamiliar with Model A’s the photo showing the body on the way to the body shop has the fuel tank installed, while the photo taken after the body was painted has the tank removed. The village wisdom has it that the Attorney Generals of the north eastern states were none too pleased with fuel tank mounting location and began actions that would inhibit sales of automobiles that retained that design feature. Note in ‘32 the Model B’s fuel tank was in the back of the car, and the engine block had a provision to mount a fuel pump, which is the same design concept as the Model 18 V-8 cars produced first in ‘32.

My experience with the adjustable wheel dollies started with moving a trike around the garage (it’s much easier to drive a trike forward versus backing up). After following this thread for a while, I tried a dolly to help reinstalling a tire on my Suburban. I’ll never do that job the old way again.

dp

Posted on: 12/8 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes it is a Murray bodied 31. The car is long finished, I got it done in the fall of 2019, before I started on my Packard.
The tank is off in the second picture as it is being prepped with the welting that went on before final assembly, while the before shot had as much as I could loosely put together to get her up to paint. The interior was completely wrong before this restoration, done in 1960's vinyl, but as you can see, probably one of the nicest Canadian 31's around body wise. My brother bought her in 1971, my 1st brush with an antique car at the tender age of 9, I was smitten and an honour to redo it after his passing for his son.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Happy 3rd Anniversary.JPG (1,155.47 KB)
225215_6573d81aaa76d.jpg 2389X1500 px

Posted on: 12/8 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Wow, what a nice-looking A! Sounds like a car that has achieved the well-deserved ‘family heirloom’ status.

Posted on: 12/9 0:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

KoreyManolakis
See User information
Quote:

pistonscab wrote:
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
I have a set of identical dollies (at least they look identical) that I bought years ago when moving my cars to Oregon. I bought them from an eBay seller who sold them in pairs or in sets of four and oddly it was cheaper to buy two pair than it was to buy the set of four! I often wish I had a second set but the price has gone up quite a bit since then. rice purity test

I find the current selling price of this device quite expensive.

It's much cheaper to buy from the Internet, bro.

Posted on: 2/12 22:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved