Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 141

53 Cavalier, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Warren July 25, 2009
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I agree with JW, the body is a factory supplied converible victoria for 1935-36 with the top mechanism modified to accept quarter windows.

I'm going on the limb further and state I think the quarter windows are from a GM C-Body 1942-'47 such as would be found on a Olds 98, Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac 62 convertible. This opinions is just from looking at the pictures and being instantly reminded of those rather long quarter windows those cars have.

If the modification did take place in the period and was performed by a coachbuilder, the frame style would match perfectly, those fellows didn't do shoddy work.

Frankly, I think the car would look much better with the blind quarters, much more elegant!

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/28 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JW: There may be a mistake in the book I refered you to. However my main point is that Rollston did indeed build and marketed a vehicle in 1937 that had the front doors hinged at the b pillar.

Packard also in 1937 offerd a 1508 7 passenger with the front doors hinged at the b pillar. This was only on a special order basis. The bodies were built by Murray using the old 35 & 36 dies and jigs.

Like I stated I am no Packard expert but I knew were to locate the information in my library.

The book Packard by Dammann & Wren in many respects I find to be a better book on Packard than the Kimes book.

Packard experts like Kimes and Turnquist also made mistakes
in some of thier writings about Packard.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/28 20:21
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JW: like I have stated before I am no expert on Packard's. I took some time to compare the picture you posted of the Rollston and the picture in the source book I listed.

I wish to state that the two authors of the book may be right and you might be mistaken about the Rollston Sports Sedan.

The picture comes from the web site The Making Of Modern Michigan. Most of these photos in the site came from the Packard Factory. It stated that written on the back of the picture is 1507 Packard V12 on a 139.25 inch wheel base Special Sports Sedan body by Rollston.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (81.17 KB)
105_4a99bdf1927d7.jpg 750X614 px

Posted on: 2009/8/29 18:46
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The photo you posted was taken on 5th Avenue in NYC around East 74th or so. The photo was taken by whoever took photos for Rollston at the time. Rollston probably sent the photo to Packard & whoever received it at Packard labeled it by what they thought it was. Because of it low, sleek lines it does look sporty, but because of all the formal sedan traits it has, formal sedan is the correct term to use in describing this body. Walt Gosden of the CCCA, who is probably the foremost expert on US built custom bodies, even refers to the car as a formal sedan.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 23:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
How about we call it a "Formally Sport Sedan", or a "Sporty Formal Sedan"? Either way, I'd love to have it in my garage!

BTW, Can you put me in your will JW? LOL!

Posted on: 2009/8/29 23:37
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'll go with sporty formal sedan. By the way, that blue fastback in your picture, is that the one that was on e bay a little while back? I remember watching an auction with a car like yours & it was pulled early - I assume someone went & just bought it.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 23:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi JW & Gentlemen

"Sporty Formal Sedan" is an apt description, it's a wonderful design. It is of the design idiom Rollston used to create the the sport sedans for the Duesenberg JN, the best known of which is the Bill 'Bojangles" Robinson car.

With it's convertible type half-door construction, stainless window frames, and lower body essentially separate from the top, it's a convertible sedan with a stationary top. All these features contribute to a sterling design. This type, rare even during the Classic Era, is a personal favorite.

I was so delighted to see your car at the Centennial. I've loved that design since seeing the Rollston photo for the first time probably forty years ago.

You are a truly fortunate man to have such a car in your family.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/30 7:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The blue fastback in the picture is the one I had when I was 19 and wrecked it. It was recently replaced with a lighter blue one that I've been chasing for the past 15 years.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.41 KB)
34_4a9aa8fcdcfdd.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/8/30 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JW: My last post to you was to let you know how Dammonn & Wren came came up with the information they printed in their book. Not knowing that you own the car thus my remark to you that you may be mistaken. I certainly wish that your car was sitting in my garage

I guess that we certainly can say the information in the D&W book is not correct. You now know why the information was wrong about your car because of some research that I did.

The following information that I am about to post should be nothing new to you . Cord in 1935 had Rollston build a new series of updated bodies for the JN series. The bodies were designed by Creteur. A total of ten bodies were built including three Berline sedans.

The body on your Packard is basically the same design as the 1935 Duesenburg J-559 purchased by Bill Bojangles Robinson which was mentioned in another post, and restyled by Bohman & Schwartz in 1936. You refer to your car as a formal sedan, and it could also be called a Berline Sedan. This is how Rollston and Deusenberg
refered to the body style as a Berline sedan when mounted on a Dueusy JN chassis.

I wish that I could find a better picture on the net of
Robinson's J559 Duesnberg. However I refer you to page 147
of the book Duesenberg by Dennis Adler.
John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (205.31 KB)
105_4a9b24ac566ba.jpg 1270X900 px

Posted on: 2009/8/30 19:25
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved