Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water leaking around the door jambs
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc
See User information
I have wet spots on my 1949 8’s carpet near the door jambs. I assume the door gasket is leaking. Are there any affordable gasket sets out there to replace my old cracked and worn gaskets? I can hear rust creeping into the floor pans……..😟😧😵, and honestly 400.00 to 500.00 for a set seems a little steep. Check out the gasket by zooming into the pic on the door jamb.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4561.jpeg (54.16 KB)
226376_64ee99187f286.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/8/29 20:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Water leaking around the door jambs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can buy generic door weatherstrip from Restoration Specialties at less cost than from Steele or other vendors. MetroMoldedParts also has generic weatherstrip.

Packard did use a couple of different profiles and different sizes so you will need to find a piece on your car still in decent condition to compare and closely match what you have to what is sold. There is also one in a profile that is labeled as universal that is a decent match for some years.

Difference is generic weatherstrip is sold by the foot so the long strip does not have the molded corners that some factory strips had. The generic strips will need to be well cemented in place and not stretched as they go around corners. While generic will work for most of the door, some pieces particularly around the door jamb hinge sides may need to be the real factory repro item to look and seal correctly.

Here is a sample of some Packard profiles from an older Restoration Specialties catalog. You can download their latest pdf catalog and see all the different profiles they offer along with current prices.

Attach file:

jpg  restoration.jpg (121.89 KB)
209_64ee9d6e1c49d.jpg 1802X954 px

Posted on: 2023/8/29 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved