Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

New Computer....
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I finally replaced my 2008 computer with a new one. New computer, new keyboard, new operating system... and I can't do much with it. It's probably far better than the old one, but so far it has me buffaloed.

Posted on: 2023/8/30 15:22
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: New Computer....
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure it will be faster and now be able to read those troublesome PDF files!

Posted on: 2023/8/30 17:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Google how to make Windows 11 more like Windows 10. It will feel more familiar that way. That's what I did.

At the ripe old age of 24 I don't like that new Windows look. 😁

Posted on: 2023/8/30 19:10
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I can now read the 1935 Service Bulletins.

Access and use YouTube
Access and use websites such as Tuscon Packard, Max Merrit, NWS enhanced radar, O'Reilly Auto, NAPA, and numerous others that have become unusable over the last couple of years.
Even Yahoo News commentary now works.
(I thought they had banned me)

Posted on: 2023/8/31 7:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hooray!

Posted on: 2023/8/31 8:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I think that 2008 was Windoze 7. That was the best Windoze version ever, imo.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 4:44
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Old computer:

Dell XPS 420
Windows Vista "Home Edition".
"Intel Core 2 Quad"

Old computers/operating systems do not age well.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 8:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, in the tech world, that computer would be seen as the Jurassic era.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 8:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I have some computers as old as 1995 at my house. Along with various old media formats, like ZIP drives.

The nicest thing about software that old is they actually gave you (usually) well written manuals and help, instead of having to Google everything.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 9:48
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And Macs are not immune either and they have a pretty well defined era of 7 years after last being sold before they become vintage with limited support or obsolete and no longer supported. I have an old but perfectly running Mac Mini and a newer iMac and both cannot be updated. The mini is in the same boat as your old PC when trying to access websites so only good as a file server. The iMac was recently considered obsolete and can get some new apps but is on borrowed time before it too cannot do much.

Windows for a long time had so many legacy apps and peripherals that business needed to rely on that Microsoft was forced to try and keep some kind of redundancy so the older programs and printers etc would still work. This was both good and bad -- good because old programs and add ons worked longer and bad because any weakness that malware or virus purveyors could exploit stayed around to be exploited again.

Apple was not as concerned about the enterprise market so when they were in tough times right after Jobs came back he embraced the future head on and almost without mercy. Apple eliminated the floppy disc, some legacy ports in favor of more mainstream standards, Flash multimedia apps that wre notoriously prone to malware and then started a transition from Power PC to Intel microprocessors and then a jump from 32 to 64 bit instruction sets all in a fairly rapid timeframe. The main thing they did to keep old apps running was develop software emulation to run on new machines so the old power PC programs could work with Intel chips and 32 bit apps still worked on 64 bit processors. Some aftermarket entrepreneurs developed hardware adapters to keep some ports relevant. All that too went away after a while as the new era was embraced by software and hardware vendors. I have not kept up with Windows but they seem to now be doing the same thing as Apple did years ago and saying bye to the old era.

Apple has now moved into its next phase and has eliminated the use of Intel microprocessors in favor of their own Apple silicone which is a completely different and more efficient platform than the Intel chips. Because my iMac was obsolete and couldn't take the last OS upgrade got a new mini with Apple silicone. They again provide software emulation to keep some old apps running but as more apps are rewritten to directly work with Apple silicone that too will go away again.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved