Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Whistle while refueling
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hello. I have a 51 200 deluxe and when I fill the tank up there is a loud whistle while I fill the tank. I was told it was designed to whistle when the tank was almost full. This one whistles all the time, is there a way to stop this? There is a small tube on the side of the refueling tube. If I remove this will it stop the whistle ?

Posted on: 2009/5/11 13:03
Thanks Brian
 Top  Print 

Re: Whistle while refueling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I have a 52 300 and have never heard a whistle. There's a second tube on the tank neck, designed to allow air in. Is it crushed/ plugged? Mine is attached to a rubber hose that leads to the tank.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.70 KB)
471_4a086b136c511.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.92 KB)
471_4a086b1c0d8e4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.01 KB)
471_4a086b2447998.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/5/11 13:15
-Carl | [url=http://packardinfo.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The small tube is the tank vent and must be there. There is a procedure to remove the whistle inside the tube here:http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/51T-17.PDF
but Packards way is done with a soldering iron. If your tank has it, then it may be possible to remove a short piece of rubber hose connecting the two vent sections and use some object to break the whistle. I just don't remember if the 51 tank has the rubber hose and which side has the whistle or if you can do it without pushing some garbage into the tank.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 13:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I think the whistle is supposed to STOP when the gas reaches the end of the vent pipe in other words when the tank is full.

This was a handy warning to have, back before they put automatic shutoffs on the gas pumps.

It allowed you to fill the tank without the risk of over filling and spilling gas on the ground.

I would keep it.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 13:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
My 23rd series has this feature...and it is even addressed in the owners manual (available on this site). It is designed to stop when the tank is 1 gal from being full. Mine works so well, it tends to draw attention at the filling station! By all means, don't modify this original design feature!

Posted on: 2009/5/11 15:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was told it was designed to whistle when the tank was almost full. This one whistles all the time, is there a way to stop this? There is a small tube on the side of the refueling tube. If I remove this will it stop the whistle ?

To me at least it would seem a shame to disable such an interesting and unique feature, also a great little conversation starter, especially when you gas up.

Isn't the whistle mentioned in the owner's manual? It stops of course when the airflow thru it stops, i.e., when the fuel hits the vent tube at the tank top, thus about 1 gallon more-or-less from full.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 15:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
a great little conversation starter, especially when you gas up.

Amen to that--also dirty looks when people are trying to figure out who or what is making the noise and find it is you. Had lots of looks when I filled the 47 but don't remember that many conversations.

The original bulletin mentioned told how to clean it of obstructions because apparently it slowed the filling and messed up the workings of auto handles. Anyone know how it does with the new vacuum vapor recovery pump handles.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 15:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The new nozzles are much smaller than the filler pipe on the 400 and won't kick off when almost full because the pressure does not build up the same as the smaller necks on modern cars. I think they made the filler necks smaller so you had to buy unleaded. I wouldn't bet on it though. I have to listen closely on the 400 or I will splash gas down the side of the car. The whistle is 9.3055 and goes thru 1954. I wish my 56 had it and even thought about incorporating it. I am probably wrong, but thought it mounted in the rubber vent hose.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure exactly where whistle is but the tech bulletin says it was discontinued for or in 51 and to use a soldering iron to remove the lower vent tube from tank to remove whistle. We have those vacuum handles here with the big collar that presses on fill opening and sucks vapors out while new gas put in. If a leak around collar or the least little thing wrong, they keep clicking off--a royal PIA on some cars--even new.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The vent whistle for 1951 is in the little round cap that is soldered to the top of the gas tank. The whistle was eliminated for 1952 and later with a larger diameter vent tube. See attached pictures.

The gas tank would need to be removed from the car in order to unsolder the vent cap and remove the whistle.

My 22nd Series Custom 8 still has the whistle and as noted by others it does tend to attract attention when filling, especially at the rare locations with full service. It can be quite amusing to note the puzzled or frightened look
from the pump jockey!

Attach file:

jpg  (73.72 KB)
1137_4a08b089c188a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (75.57 KB)
1137_4a08b0a1e2c24.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/5/11 18:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved