Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Whistle while refueling
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
The whistle on my 48 works. I believe it's supposed to sound until nearly full so you don't overfill. It whistles even when filling from a gas can.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Randy Berger wrote:

"The new nozzles are much smaller than the filler pipe on the 400 and won't kick off when almost full because the pressure does not build up the same as the smaller necks on modern cars. I think they made the filler necks smaller so you had to buy unleaded. I wouldn't bet on it though. I have to listen closely on the 400 or I will splash gas down the side of the car. The whistle is 9.3055 and goes thru 1954. I wish my 56 had it and even thought about incorporating it. I am probably wrong, but thought it mounted in the rubber vent hose."

Amen to that, Randy. I've had gasoline in my shoe on more than one occasion. I could put up with the whistling.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 8:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Hey, leave it there! You will get lots of questions at the gas station. Just yesterday I was filling up our '41 Clipper (actually the first car where Packard used it)and a guy says, "What the h*** is that whistle?" I explained its purpose and he says, "That is sooooo cool!" It was another Packard first and a great innovation for safety.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 9:05
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Found this in 41 Clipper info for anyone interested.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.09 KB)
209_4a1038c82cb7e.jpg 279X551 px

Posted on: 2009/5/17 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
We’re these whistles a Packard exclusive item or did other makes use them?

Posted on: 2021/4/3 21:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I seem to remember being told or reading many years ago that the whistle warning was called the "Scully Ventalarm" and was a Packard selling feature for the period. My '47 and '49 both have it and, like some above, I wish the '56 did.

HH56 drawing is really helpful in understanding how it works. Never had seen that before. Thanks!

Posted on: 2021/4/8 2:04
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My 48 Sedan has the whistle - or DID , until we took the tank to be cleaned. The shop ruined my tank by cutting a big hole in it _ I still have the tank, file tube, and the whistle. Guess it could be put back. Be careful where you take a rank for repair -

Posted on: 2021/4/8 10:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved