Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

Todd W. White, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 C Convertible Coupe: All Done. 696 Days
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Thought I would give you the final project update:
• The solenoid came in yesterday for the starter. Turns over just the way she is suppose to now.
• I replaced the oil pressure line to the oil gauge in the dash with a kit from Canadian Tire and compression fittings from my buddy Bruce at McNeil’s. All fittings tight and no leaks at either end now. Without the leak the pressure is a steady 45 lbs.
• Adjusted the brake plunger rod into the master cylinder so even light pressure allows the pedal to return and the brake lights go out on their own every time.
• After careful scrutiny of all available wiring schematics I found I had the field and armature wires reversed on the generator, corrected that so now she puts out over 30 amps after starting at idle.
• The new gas evaporates much quicker than the gas in the 30’s so a little squirt in the carb before turning her over allows instant start after sitting a day.
• Found the collar at the exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold was loose so after tightening the small exhaust leak is gone.
• Radiator has found its level and is no longer overflowing and the temp stays at a steady 180 degrees F.

That’s it, she’s done for now. I will wait to get insurance and license later after some invoices get paid and cash flow returns, then the last item is the canvas top installation likely next spring.
Been a wonderful project but I am glad it is over. The last few days have been very stressful and my Crohns kicked up pretty bad. I found that the final pieces led up to a world of worry: if I had done a myriad of other things correctly and what would show up as problem once I got everything I thought I needed done. The initial start-up showed all kinds of issues: Exhaust leak at the Manifold/Exhaust pipe, Overflowing radiator, a leak in the fuel line from the pump to the carb, the solenoid welding itself shut and running around for a wrench to disconnect the battery under load, the oil pressure was low, the lifters sounded too loud, it was hard to start. Brake lights were staying on. No charge from the generator. All these things you cannot know until it actually starts. Having done all the above tweaks it has all smoothed out and sounds and runs great. The last few nights I have woke up in cramps worrying about all the above and if I would be able to get them right after all the months of work and serious cost outlay. Now I am going to decompress for a while and read some trash pulp!
Phew!!
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC03486.JPG (212.16 KB)
225215_64fa3a66ac4d5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/9/7 15:57
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: 1937 120 C Convertible Coupe: All Done. 696 Days
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks great Bob! Don't wait on insurance. God forbide something happen to it and unwind all your work. I usually insure my projects day one. Then increase the coverage towards the end. Hagerty has a rate for that which also covers parts.

Posted on: 2023/9/7 16:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Have no fear Kev, I should have indicated full insurance, it is already covered as a non-licensed garage resident!
Note the Ontario 1937 plate even matches the red on the car's trim. Perfect!
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC03487.JPG (212.49 KB)
225215_64fa568703703.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/9/7 18:02
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Just hope I can one day get my one looking that good. It's been nice to follow this project since joining the site.

Posted on: 2023/9/7 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Looks great! I’m hoping to get there. Posts like this are great motivation!

Posted on: 2023/9/7 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Beautiful car. Well done!

Posted on: 2023/9/7 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Sweet looking ride! I can empathize with you on your restoration. I'm doing little by little myself and still have things to fix. Great job!

Posted on: 2023/9/11 18:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved