Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Old parts
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
When working on these older cars should we keep the old parts? Is there any value? I have a box in the back of every weatherstripping, seals, and whatever. Any reason to keep?

Posted on: 2023/9/19 6:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Old parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you can still buy the part as a repro and the old one has no perceivable value then you might as well toss 'em.

Anything else I would (and do) hold on to.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 6:59
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Keep 'em if you have room. Part #s and brand names can be useful, and so can measurements. Weatherstrip profiles can be useful information. I suggest labeling stuff with a durable tag.

Posted on: 2023/9/19 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I agree to keep anything you can. When it comes to many parts a sample goes a long way to get a supplier to understand what you need. Items like weather stripping and such can be trimmed down so you have a sample of its cross section to illustrate what the new parts should be. By keeping the old parts in an organized way anything that wears in future can be refurbished without disassembling the car itself. Items like often replaced plugs, points, caps etc. can simply be filed by trimming the package the new one came in that has the part number on it and stapled to a sheet of paper and kept in a binder. Any old gaskets can be used for patterns to cut new ones from sheet material.
You can never have too much information on your car, and as I age, I realize it is not really my car, just mine for now, so the next owner will have this data base to work with sometime in the future.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Carton Reference.JPG (271.66 KB)
225215_6509ec7237f03.jpg 1570X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/19 13:22
 Top  Print   
LikeLove (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved