Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

'55 Caribbean Power Windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On a drive in the ’55 Caribbean, I tried t roll down the passenger’s electric window (which has been erratic the last several weeks) from the driver side. It did not work and after a few minutes smoke appeared from behind the panel. I discovered on the driver’s switch the switch was stuck in the down position.

I’ve studied the schematics for the car and see there is circuit breaker (for power seats & windows) to protect everything. I’m somewhat puzzled that the circuit breaker did not switch off. I have been unable to locate the breaker. Where is it normally located and how amps is it suppose to be?

Current plans are to; 1) replace the driver’s side switch, 2) replace breaker, and 3) remove right side window motor and check it out. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Posted on: 2023/9/21 2:02
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 Caribbean Power Windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Pretty sure its 20 amps.

You should be able to take the switch apart

And silicone grease it up

Posted on: 2023/9/21 8:19
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a 55 the circuit breaker is mounted on the engine side of the firewall and attached to the window relay. Those items are in front of and slightly toward the drivers left side. If it has the original window motors, there should be an internal thermal breaker. If switch was stuck and motor was powered a long time one would have thought the thermal should also have tripped.

Here is a photo of unknown origin showing the 55 breaker and window relay. On 56 models and 55s with factory AC the relay and CB were moved up and rotated 90 degrees so they could be screwed to the wide sheet metal flange just above where they are shown in the photo.

Attach file:

jpg  55 eng2.jpg (70.86 KB)
209_650c496e08d0c.jpg 850X567 px

Posted on: 2023/9/21 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have the right side door panel off and have unscrewed the 4 screws that hold the electric motor (EM) to the door frame. As much as I've tried I can't seem to figure out what else I need to do in order to remove the EM.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 16:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On two door models, there is a bar connecting the motor drive side to the window up/dn side of the regulator. That bar needs to disconnect and IIRC, it has a horseshoe type clip and maybe washers holding the two pieces together. I think it disconnects on the motor side where I drew the arrow but been too long since doing mine to say that for fact. If nothing is obvious check the other side. Once the bar is disconnected it should be a matter of rotating and maneuvering the motor side assy down to the opening but you may also need to fight the vertical window runner.

Attach file:

jpg  linkage.jpg (85.13 KB)
209_650cc20520a2c.jpg 866X592 px

Posted on: 2023/9/21 17:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard thanks a million, the image will be a great help. It sounds like loads of fun trying to remove a horse shoe clip where you can't see and barely able to reach to remove.

To all those Packard Engineers, who have long since pasted, I also want to thank you for developing this marvel challenge.

It seems like the "down direction" wire to the motor is frayed where it enters the housing. So when the switch stuck in the Down position, thing began to "Heat Up" (no pun intended). Since it also appears that on my car the PWs aren't part a circuit breaker or fused system, the hot lead behind the dash went through a melt down providing additional things to play with lying on my back between seat and firewall.

Time to sign off since it is almost 4 PM here and time to pop the tab on a cold one.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Yeah Marty. Those clips are a bitch.

To get regulator out. Have to straighten it and pull.

Opposite to get it in.

If gas wasn't so much I would drive up and do it.

Cause there is a part that goes up then door that you have to get in.a slot.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 22:58
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Riki - what is the best height for the UP, DOWN or somewhere in the middle?

Posted on: 2023/9/22 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I extend it highest.

In the low even with bead window felt.

But.. If the window frame curves.

Mine will stop the door handle from opening.

With the inside trim off you can see plunger from door handle.

And see where it is

Posted on: 2023/9/22 16:34
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard,

I've tried to find the diagram you posted on this web site. Where is it or do you have a link?

Thanks Marty

Posted on: 2023/9/22 23:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved