Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

humanpotatohybrid, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I use it. With no problems. Trans oil and motor.

https://youtu.be/CtrsZPLqMdA?si=wLVa555skcsC-WKg

Posted on: 2023/9/24 17:19
Riki
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
FYI: I was reading an article on high performance flat tappet life today. They made the statement not to use Rotella diesel oil anymore as the ZDDP is low like most motor oils now.
I know a lot of old car owners swear by and use Rotella diesel oil, which I always did NOT recommend because of the higher level of detergents would negatively impact old motors with accumulated sludge. I think(memory) the "classic car" oil has around 4000 ppm or similar high level which according to my sources and SAE reports, is not necessary. After a certain amount to coat the metal, any additional is excess/wasted at oil change time, and it tends to volatilize(15%) in the engines with a breather vent.
I checked Shell site and they show 1200 ppm Zn in Rotellas. I found this independent chart which compares a bunch of brands.https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/zddp-content-chart-high-zinc-oil-list-brand-breakdown/32479
ZDDP is only supposedly an issue with flat tappet motors as a wear issue but may have other benefits/drawbacks.
I think oil flow and a few other factors are just as/more important for cam/tappet wear. Some of the old motors had partial or no oil filtration so were prone to clogging up the channels/galleys and can lead to poor lubrication and premature wear and failures.

Posted on: 2023/9/25 15:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved