Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedometer 1937 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
My Speedometer started making a "whirling" noise. I replaced the speedo Cable, and it continues. I assume it is the gears or the magnet. I have taken it apart as far as I can. Has anybody experienced this, if yes. Could you let me know what you did to correct? Does anybody know a good Speedo "fixer" that specializes in Antiques or better yet Packards?

Thoughts appreciated!
Ben

Posted on: 2023/10/13 18:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedometer 1937 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
A whirring noise sounds like dry bushings in the mechanism. It is not hard to open up and get some light oil into it. I sprayed mine down first with brake cleaner, used compressed air to blow it dry and blast away decades of dirt, and then using toothpicks carefully dripped oil into all moving shafts/gears. Be sure not to knock the centre plate askew and incur the needle shaft to rub on the central hole. You can also drill out the brass cap as Big Kev did to oil the felt inside that bore too. His image describing that location is below.
With the speedometer head off you can also pull the shaft/cable and give it a good cleaning and spread some lithium grease on it before sliding it back in.
Bob J

Attach file:

jpg  Oiling hole.jpg (164.92 KB)
225215_6529d2d59aa8e.jpg 1920X1576 px

Posted on: 2023/10/13 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks Bob! I will give that a go!

Follow on question. So drilling out that brass cap will not damage the speedo? that is the area the sound is coming from so it makes sense.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You might be able to get the brass plug out with a sharp ice pick. Be very careful working with the speedometer. Too much lubricant can do a lot of harm.
Any loose rust particles will get stuck on the magnets and cause trouble. I would not use compressed air on a speedometer. A light, non-gumming oil is best.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I did not remove the plug on mine. Kev found there was a felt wick behind the plug in the bore to hold the oil, so I just did as TxGoat indicated, used a toothpick dipped in light oil and let capillary action soak the area of the wick from the shaft end. You do not need much lubricant to get a good result. Overdoing it will only result in dust build up and gumming of the mechanism again in short order.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/10/13 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Hi all,
I just want to loop back on results. A tad bit of oil in shaft (with toothpick) and Lithium grease on the Speedo Cable did the trick. She is back to normal, no noise! Thanks too all for the input and guidance!
Ben

Posted on: 2023/10/16 13:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved