Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wheels & Jack
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Sandblasted rims and painted with Endura paint. They'll be good for a long time now!

New tires and new metal valve stems just in case the hubcaps want to walk, but they should be okay as now I have 5 Packard rims. (Before the car had 2 non-Packard rims.) Little by little my parts car is paying for itself.

Couple of questions:
-How does the spare fasten in?
-Where does the jack and wrench get stored?
-There are 2 drain holes in the bottom of the spare tire tub. Should there be something to cover those to prevent dust getting into the trunk?
-I don't have any intention of using the factory jack if I ever needed to change a flat tire, but what does everyone carry for a jack? Maybe scissor jack? Or do you just carry your AMA card?

Posted on: 2023/10/25 9:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheels & Jack
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The drain holes are left open. I've never seen any plugs or covers there.

The jack was stored in a plain cardboard box in the trunk. The correct box has been reproduced.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 9:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You will probably get dust if you drive on dusty roads. I'd try putting tape over the drain holes, and look for any other possible entry points. If your car has a fresh air type heater, running the fan on HI with all the windows up will help keep dust out of the car interior and inside of the doors. The blower, if drawing outside air, will cause a slight overpressure inside the car, which will reduce or eliminate dust entering through drain holes and other places. All windows must be closed. With many cars, you can set the blower on high with outside air and roll up all the windows and open just 1 window about 1/2". Stand outside the car and hold your hand near the gap above the window glass. You should be able to feel a distinct draft coming through the narrow gap. If not, look for open joints, missing body plugs, etc.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 10:23
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Loo-king good!
Spares were from a different road and tire era and if you have a spare you need a jack. Only large vehicles, some SUVs, trucks etc come with full size now.
The '50s era jacks were a bit more substantial than the '60 on. They all have a tendency to not hold without a stop latch mechanism. Inspect anything that old for working order before use. Main thing is level firm ground to use, maybe a wide block of wood to steady the base and a chock. No e-brake on the front, if he rear is jacked.
FYI:Some of these era, the rears are difficult to remove and require special technique due to fender clearance with radials.
I'd only carry a 2nd jack if I was going on a trip or long drive so long as the tires are new. [May be needed for other failures too.] Maybe best to trailer, if available. Leave the spare in the trailer until you show/needed. I mortally injured my back lifting a spare out of a '60 vehicle that had it stuffed up under the package tray area as a teen. So be careful and use proper lift technique removing from a well.
Most of today's tires, if you pick up a nail or screw, will slow leak and not go flat right away. I've averaged 2 tire punctures a year for decades, and currently 4 so far this year and none resulted in not getting home or road side change and I'm towing, too.(8 tires rolling) Usually on the road, can get to a tire shop, if bad, and I carry a portable electric air pump and one of those cans of tire flat stuff. Just have to be careful where you go.
Spare wells are notorious for rot out if the holes get blocked and water lays. They should be fiberglass with no holes, in my opinion, but what do I know? They sell universal replacements.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 11:25
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
53 Cavalier

The spare tire is held by a threaded arm that pivots from the right side of the well. I’m not sure if the stud is intended to pass through one of the five lug holes or the central hole which would require a plate/large washer . . . my car has a plate much like the 22nd / 23rd series. A wing nut draws the spare essentially to the right side of the well. I know it’s the wrong model, but if you look at plate #152 in the parts book you will see a photo of the arm, group number 31.195. IIRC the threaded arm slips into a bracket welded to the truck floor pan, and a split pin keeps it in place. That design also ensures the thread arm will part company with the car at some point in time.

As Kev said the jack/lug wrench (perhaps including a wrench for the wheel shield/fender skirt and another for the spark plugs) was shipped with the car in a cardboard box. In the same era the GM products had a bracket that cradled the jack post, sans the base. The spare pinched the post from moving. Again in the GM world the jack base played the role of the plate/large washer.

I’m not sure why the wheel has a drain hole, but I envision if any water collected in the well and the temperature dropped below freezing the spare would be unavailable if needed. I don’t think dust ingress was considered as a key design consideration.

I carry the Packard bumper jack for display purposes only . . . at least that’s my fondest hope. In the event of the need to R&R a wheel/tire on the road I carry a bottle jack, actual two bottle jacks, including a few aluminum hockey pucks to help spread the point load on the car’s frame. Back to the bumper jack, I suspect there would be a situation where there will be insufficient clearance between the road and the frame to locate the bottle jack, so the bumper jack may be needed to provide said clearance, but under no circumstances would I lift the car with only the bumper jack. I also carry a wheel chock and a threaded stud to assist aligning the wheel to the brake drum.

dp

Posted on: 2023/10/25 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

DavidPackard wrote:
53 Cavalier

The spare tire is held by a threaded arm that pivots from the right side of the well. I’m not sure if the stud is intended to pass through one of the five lug holes or the central hole which would require a plate/large washer . . . my car has a plate much like the 22nd / 23rd series. A wing nut draws the spare essentially to the right side of the well. I know it’s the wrong model, but if you look at plate #152 in the parts book you will see a photo of the arm, group number 31.195. IIRC the threaded arm slips into a bracket welded to the truck floor pan, and a split pin keeps it in place. That design also ensures the thread arm will part company with the car at some point in time.

As Kev said the jack/lug wrench (perhaps including a wrench for the wheel shield/fender skirt and another for the spark plugs) was shipped with the car in a cardboard box. In the same era the GM products had a bracket that cradled the jack post, sans the base. The spare pinched the post from moving. Again in the GM world the jack base played the role of the plate/large washer.

I’m not sure why the wheel has a drain hole, but I envision if any water collected in the well and the temperature dropped below freezing the spare would be unavailable if needed. I don’t think dust ingress was considered as a key design consideration.

I carry the Packard bumper jack for display purposes only . . . at least that’s my fondest hope. In the event of the need to R&R a wheel/tire on the road I carry a bottle jack, actual two bottle jacks, including a few aluminum hockey pucks to help spread the point load on the car’s frame. Back to the bumper jack, I suspect there would be a situation where there will be insufficient clearance between the road and the frame to locate the bottle jack, so the bumper jack may be needed to provide said clearance, but under no circumstances would I lift the car with only the bumper jack. I also carry a wheel chock and a threaded stud to assist aligning the wheel to the brake drum.

dp

I have that threaded arm and wing nut, but unsure how it was intended to be used. Doesn't really seem to fit, but maybe it would if I had smaller tires?

The drain holes in the spare tire well are probably not much of a concern, not driving gravel roads much, unless I go visit my folks.

I wouldn't be inclined to use the factory bumper jack to change a tire either, seems a bit sketchy. I may get something else just for road trips so I don't get caught without a way to change a tire. Having said that I haven't had a flat tire on the road with any vehicle for 20 years.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
Loo-king good!
Spares were from a different road and tire era and if you have a spare you need a jack. Only large vehicles, some SUVs, trucks etc come with full size now.
The '50s era jacks were a bit more substantial than the '60 on. They all have a tendency to not hold without a stop latch mechanism. Inspect anything that old for working order before use. Main thing is level firm ground to use, maybe a wide block of wood to steady the base and a chock. No e-brake on the front, if he rear is jacked.
FYI:Some of these era, the rears are difficult to remove and require special technique due to fender clearance with radials.
I'd only carry a 2nd jack if I was going on a trip or long drive so long as the tires are new. [May be needed for other failures too.] Maybe best to trailer, if available. Leave the spare in the trailer until you show/needed. I mortally injured my back lifting a spare out of a '60 vehicle that had it stuffed up under the package tray area as a teen. So be careful and use proper lift technique removing from a well.
Most of today's tires, if you pick up a nail or screw, will slow leak and not go flat right away. I've averaged 2 tire punctures a year for decades, and currently 4 so far this year and none resulted in not getting home or road side change and I'm towing, too.(8 tires rolling) Usually on the road, can get to a tire shop, if bad, and I carry a portable electric air pump and one of those cans of tire flat stuff. Just have to be careful where you go.
Spare wells are notorious for rot out if the holes get blocked and water lays. They should be fiberglass with no holes, in my opinion, but what do I know? They sell universal replacements.

Super pleased with how my rims turned out! It wasn't planning on doing a full restoration of my rims, just put the new tires on, but then my mechanic called me after he had the tires off and asked, Do you want to paint the rims while the tires are off? Of course I do! It's the right thing to do and the right time to do it! And in keeping with all of my Packard Projects, one thing lead to another. Now they are as good as they can be and something that I think the Packard Bros. would approve of, and had done if they could.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 13:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With the tire in the well, it covers the majority of the drain holes. I've never seen a report of that being a significant issue for the ingress of dust and dirt.

Posted on: 2023/10/25 14:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved