Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

MVS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

WTB 4bbl intake manifold for a 23 series 327
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Hey y’all!
This is my first post on packard forms and I am restoring a 327 straight eight with the ultramatic and I am thinking of switching out the 2bbl intake for a 4bbl one.
Anybody have one for sale?

Posted on: 2023/10/30 15:46
 Top  Print   

Re: WTB 4bbl intake manifold for a 23 series 327
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What's your location? I'm sure all the major vendors have them. The question is whether you plan to rebuild it yourself, or need one already rebuilt?

Posted on: 2023/10/30 16:24
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Manual or Ultramatic? Either way, you’ll need new throttle linkages and if Ultramatic then maybe adjustments to the transmission throttle rod.

That said, I am not sure what you will accomplish by such a change other than spending lots of money, work and possibly a couple more horsepower for an engine that was design for 2-brl. You may have a little more gain by installing a high compression head.

Posted on: 2023/10/30 17:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Stan Palma
See User information
Hi...I have the complete 4bbl carb and manifold for a 1954 359. The carb was completely rebuilt and my 359 engine was started and run in with this setup. I decided to go with a fabricated aluminum manifold and dual 2bbls primarily for looks...along with custom headers. I am willing to sell the whole outfit (no air cleaner, just carb and the two-piece manifold), or will trade for some dash parts for a 1939 Junior 120 Packard. Need the glove box door with trim, and the ash tray that goes into the center piece of trim...don't need the clock. Thanks, Stan Palma, can send photos. sjp@palmaarch.com

Posted on: 2023/10/30 18:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day, BlakesPackards
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your "....22 series 2dr and a 23series 4dr, and maybe getting another...."(Info gleaned from your User Profile) Packards in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/10/30 18:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Other than for 'looks', without doing something below, the low compression motor won't handle any more cfm. I doubt seriously it's starved for fuel only. aka waste of cash.

You'll have a 'detuned' 4 bbl to make the flattie run. This is not your SBC V-8.
2 bbl is 300-350 cfm,(all it needs) while the smallest 4 bbl small bore is around 400. + They don't make them anymore.
A 650 Holley double pumper or edelbrock performer wont fit anyway.
The stromberg or Edmunds set-ups look better anyway but not many people "jacked" their Packard, so unobtainum stuff. Homemade was ugly. Pre-CNC and TIG welding.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you want more power, raise compression. Adding a 4 bbl won't add much, if any, and any gain would be at high engine speeds at wide open throttle. You can probably get more power for less effort by maximizing what you have as far as tuning, clean air filter, make sure exhaust is unobstructed by dents, sticking heat valve, etc. Any needless weight aboard will reduce performance. Dragging brakes, excessively thick oil, and excessively low tire pressure will tax performance and fuel economy.
Bumping compression and seeing to the above points will improve performance, handling and fuel economy at low cost.

Packard did a good job of designing the intake, cam, and carburetor on the straight 8s to maximize useful torque, economy, and driveability. I'd be leery of making any basic design changes.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 9:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
I’m in Portland, Oregon. My 327 is already rebuilt, I just wanted to put a 4bbl instead of the stock 2

Posted on: 2023/10/31 11:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Aye thanks for the pertinent information, yeah I should just stick with my carter 2bbl then

Posted on: 2023/10/31 11:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
It pays to post on here, thanks.

So I guess it’s time to get this baby in there as is!

Attach file:

jpeg  2960CFBD-045C-4E3D-8530-788EDEC3F713.jpeg (0.00 KB)
226515_654126e06707b.jpeg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/10/31 11:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved