Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ignition Timing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
As I do not have a 6 volt strobe light to set timing with on my '53 327 I dug into the literature on this site to establish how to do it with a circuit testing light as I did on my brother's Model A.
The attached is directly from the Service Manual but thought it would be handy to share with all of you in a one sheet reference for your shop notes.
As poorly set timing can cause the engine to run hot as well as make it sound like you have a low battery when starting it is good to have it set per manufacturer's specs.
I titled it for 1951-54 engines as that was the range for the manual, and in checking the data sheet, all engines made in those years used the same setting for advance.
Thanks.
Bob J.

Attach file:

pdf 1951-54 Packard Ignition Timing.pdf Size: 360.36 KB; Hits: 37

Posted on: 2023/11/5 16:27
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Ignition Timing
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Tho' Packard's new 356 initially called for 4 degrees BTDC, it was soon revised to 6. But several of us with such engines are running 9, even 10 before top dead center retaining easy starting hot or cold with no pinging. Today's gas, ethanol aside, is streets ahead of the swill around when our cars new.

Don't recall what my '40 120's 282 and '51 200's 288 set at, but am sure they were advanced a bit and started "on the button" (or at accelerator tap).

In the day, you wanted to advance your timing until your engine just started to ping when "crowding" it, accelerating uphill at 35 in high gear.

Posted on: 2023/11/5 16:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved