Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: HEI Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
"Easier" is relative. How easy is it to get replacement parts on a Sunday afternoon for one of those when it goes out X amount of miles from home after a car show? GM parts are commonly available.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 12:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
"Easier" is relative. How easy is it to get replacement parts on a Sunday afternoon for one of those when it goes out X amount of miles from home after a car show? GM parts are commonly available.

That's what I always like about points. I can care a spare set in the tool box and swap them out in about 15 minutes by the side of the road. The HEI is a reliable unit but for a slow turning low compression L head eight is the performance gain all that significant? I am curious.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 13:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
okay so buy two of them and use one as a spare....solved

Posted on: 2008/6/24 14:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Ya know, you can get a Pertronix electronic ignition for most of the post war Packards. In fact, every Packard except for the 1956 Clippers (they used Autolite). I looked into it earlier this year. what does the world have against us Clipper owners? Can't get engine paint, can't get electronic ignition.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The new version of HEI for Packards that I will do on my 327 will be cheaper and simpler. I will be reusing the stock distributor housing, and adding modern components like the Hall Effect sensor and a GM 4 pin HEI module. This will keep the cost of machine work down to a minimum. When I get done, it'll cost less than $100 to do, and use all new electrical components. And, it'll be 100 times more reliable than a Pertronix unit. I've heard a lot of bad things about the reliability of the Pertronix units, and won't use them.

AND... It'll work on Clippers!

Posted on: 2008/6/24 22:38
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
TurboPackman: When will your HEI kit be available to us?

My Packard 200 is my daily driver, and this is an upgrade I want.

Also, since I need to add air conditioning sometime soon (100 degree days in Texas for the past 3 weeks straight), I will need to first change to 12 volt electrics (Vintage Air doesn't do 6 volt systems :) ). I assume your solution will handle either 6 volt or 12 volt, but not necessarily the same part? i.e. if I converted to your kit while still 6 volts, I would need to later chnage to a 12 volt kit?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/6/25 6:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, it won't be a kit, I tried selling them years ago and no one was interested and I don't have the time to mess with them right now.

As for being 6V, won't happen, at least how I'm going about it. Since all my stuff is off the shelf new parts for 12V cars, then that's what I'm stuck with.

As for your air conditioning, try a racing balancer from a 302 Ford that has removeable weights inside. It fits right on the Packard crank, both straight eights and V8's. So does 3.8L Fords, 3.8L Buicks........

Posted on: 2008/6/25 12:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jim. 6v e-ignition is a border line issue. The problem is that e-ignition components require a minimum of 5.5v to operate, CERTAINLY NO less than 5.3v. With a 6v system there is too small of a margin for error to operate the e-ign systems.

I am no expert on the e-ignition, but as i understand it if the voltage drops below 5.5 volts to the module then it's about like haveing the ignition sw. turned off.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 21:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Hmmm. How low does the voltage drop on a 6 volt car when cranking the starter?

Apparently, PerTronix does offer 6 volt systems, so they believe it works, but you might be right that even a low battery or just lots of cranking (e.g. when re-priming the float bowl) could cause it to not fire.

Has anyone out there actually RUN a 6 volt HEI system?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/6/26 16:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That's a good question. I'm not experienced enuf with resistors and transistors and tiny e-Devices to be able to answer the question in detail. As i understand it, the resistors and diodes and so forth are generaly available in certain standard ranges. Kind'a like a 2x4 board. No one ever asks for 2.75 x 4.3 board. e-Ign systems in general are not voltage dependent EXCEPT that for some reason due to standard contruction bits, must have no less than the 5.3 volts. The e-ign set ups were experiment with widely and intensly researched for 6v and 12v converted Indian motorcycles. They never came up with one for the 6v that would not die when the voltage droped below 5.3 to 5.5 volts. This is a REAL problem for m/c applications due to the small battery and marginal generator.

Go over to AACA Packard forum and pose the question to Speedster. Or take a look at a thread from about last january titled $25 e-igniton. Speedster is real sharp on the e-ignition. Alot better than me.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 21:02
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved