Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Yet another fugitive from the C. Lewis Ablelove auction comes up for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Posted on Facebook last week. 1953 Caribbean. Was Lot #184 at the Phase 1 auction (November 2021). Hammer price was $3,250. Seller was asking $12,500, just dropped to $8,500. Very rough car and definitely not for the faint of heart:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/999415174471777/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

This flipper has several other C. Lewis Ablelove cars for sale which I have previously posted. I am reposting these auction cars from earlier posts. If I find any additional C. Lewis AbleLove auction cars for sale online, I will post on this link.

1938 120 Convertible Coupe project car. Was Lot 171 from Phase 1 auction. Sale price was $1,000; seller is asking $8,500. Ad says it is a '38 but has '40 front clip. No drill outs for the '40 side mouldings and I am seeing a '38-'39 grille shell in the back seat area, so maybe you will only need to find the correct front fenders. Body looks exceptionally solid, but it needs everything. I've looked for a '38 120 convertible coupe for years and have only found two that were unrestorable wrecks compared to this one, so it is a very rare car. If anyone on this forum is interested in taking this one on, please let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/640674604901063/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1956 Carribean. Almost hopeless. Was Lot No. 97 from the Phase 1 auction. Sold for $1,500. Seller is asking $5,333.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2015759645467995/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1948 Super 8 Convertible Victoria plus another convertible and a sedan for parts. Really rough and I'm not sure if you will even have enough parts to build one good car. The yellow convertible was Lot #226 at the Phase 1 auction and hammered for $3,000. The green parts convertible was Lot #1 and sold for just $1,250. I think the sedan parts car in primer was Lot#223 which sold for $250:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/889707942120253/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1940 110 coupe. Needs total resto, but not as bad as some of the other Packards from this auction. Was Lot #59. Hammer price before commission was $3,250:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1809541146149629/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1948 Custom 8 Convertible Victoria. Lot #188. Hammered for $5,250. Project car with typical rust in the floor pans and trunk area. Rest of car looks straight and complete, but it will apparently need pretty much everything. Just like the car used in "Back to the Future".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134782378308?hash=item1f61a7e144%3Ag%3AYcgAAOSw4pJlJvLX&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5337650957&customid=&toolid=10049

Posted on: 2023/11/11 11:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Yet another fugitive from the C. Lewis Ablelove auction comes up for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
Posted on Facebook last week. 1953 Caribbean. Was Lot #184 at the Phase 1 auction (November 2021). Hammer price was $3,250. Seller was asking $12,500, just dropped to $8,500. Very rough car and definitely not for the faint of heart:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/999415174471777/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

This flipper has several other C. Lewis Ablelove cars for sale which I have previously posted. I am reposting these auction cars from earlier posts. If I find any additional C. Lewis AbleLove auction cars for sale online, I will post on this link.

1938 120 Convertible Coupe project car. Was Lot 171 from Phase 1 auction. Sale price was $1,000; seller is asking $8,500. Ad says it is a '38 but has '40 front clip. No drill outs for the '40 side mouldings and I am seeing a '38-'39 grille shell in the back seat area, so maybe you will only need to find the correct front fenders. Body looks exceptionally solid, but it needs everything. I've looked for a '38 120 convertible coupe for years and have only found two that were unrestorable wrecks compared to this one, so it is a very rare car. If anyone on this forum is interested in taking this one on, please let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/640674604901063/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1956 Carribean. Almost hopeless. Was Lot No. 97 from the Phase 1 auction. Sold for $1,500. Seller is asking $5,333.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2015759645467995/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1948 Super 8 Convertible Victoria plus another convertible and a sedan for parts. Really rough and I'm not sure if you will even have enough parts to build one good car. The yellow convertible was Lot #226 at the Phase 1 auction and hammered for $3,000. The green parts convertible was Lot #1 and sold for just $1,250. I think the sedan parts car in primer was Lot#223 which sold for $250:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/889707942120253/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1940 110 coupe. Needs total resto, but not as bad as some of the other Packards from this auction. Was Lot #59. Hammer price before commission was $3,250:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1809541146149629/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

1948 Custom 8 Convertible Victoria. Lot #188. Hammered for $5,250. Project car with typical rust in the floor pans and trunk area. Rest of car looks straight and complete, but it will apparently need pretty much everything. Just like the car used in

Hello... I always thought the name was Louis Abelove, rather than "Lewis"?????

Thanks for the posting. Those poor Caribbeans OUGHT to be saved!

Posted on: 2023/11/11 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I just spotted a 1941 grille guard in the trunk (boot) of the 1953 Caribbean. Surely that adds value!

Posted on: 2023/11/11 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Leedy: You are correct. The gentleman was C. Louis Ablelove, not Lewis. My mistake.

I do hope that at least some of these cars get saved. Unfortunately, many of the cars in the collection were extremely rough. I did not attend Phase 1 in person but know someone who did. He described standing inside the trunk area of one of the Caribbeans. There was no trunk pan left at all, so he was actually standing on the floor of the warehouse. I did go to Phase 2 in April of last year because I wanted to bid on the 1937 120 Convertible Coupe and did not want to risk bidding sight unseen. The car just needed too much work and had not run in years. I was surprised when it hammered for over $52K. With a 22% commission, I just didn't think it was worth this much, especially for a non-runner with obvious cosmetic issues like badly cracked paint and dull, oxidized chrome. In person, the car did not compare favorably to the auction catalog photos which had been taken in a dark warehouse. But it was quite an experience to see all those unrestored Packards in one place. Some of the cars were actually pretty nice. There was an exceptional original '54 Caribbean which looked stunning in Polaris Blue over Packard Ivory. This car, Lot #9 brought a winning bid of $20K. I think it was the best Caribbean in the collection. It would not take too much of an effort to restore this one.

Here are some photos I took of this car at the auction. Even though I prefer prewar Packards, I liked this one so much that I'd consider trading my '39 for it.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN4666.JPG (266.81 KB)
225503_654fdbfae7d67.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  DSCN4667.JPG (281.62 KB)
225503_654fdc13074d4.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  DSCN4668.JPG (231.65 KB)
225503_654fdc28ce219.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2023/11/11 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
Leedy: You are correct. The gentleman was C. Louis Ablelove, not Lewis. My mistake.

I do hope that at least some of these cars get saved. Unfortunately, many of the cars in the collection were extremely rough. I did not attend Phase 1 in person but know someone who did. He described standing inside the trunk area of one of the Caribbeans. There was no trunk pan left at all, so he was actually standing on the floor of the warehouse. I did go to Phase 2 in April of last year because I wanted to bid on the 1937 120 Convertible Coupe and did not want to risk bidding sight unseen. The car just needed too much work and had not run in years. I was surprised when it hammered for over $52K. With a 22% commission, I just didn't think it was worth this much, especially for a non-runner with obvious cosmetic issues like badly cracked paint and dull, oxidized chrome. In person, the car did not compare favorably to the auction catalog photos which had been taken in a dark warehouse. But it was quite an experience to see all those unrestored Packards in one place. Some of the cars were actually pretty nice. There was an exceptional original '54 Caribbean which looked stunning in Polaris Blue over Packard Ivory. This car, Lot #9 brought a winning bid of $20K. I think it was the best Caribbean in the collection. It would not take too much of an effort to restore this one.

Here are some photos I took of this car at the auction. Even though I prefer prewar Packards, I liked this one so much that I'd consider trading my '39 for it.

Okay, but that's "Leeedy" with 3 e's.

Anyway, according to the best info I could get from someone with a FB account (I don't have one) the cars listed in the links are at a place called "Altieri's Auto Tow" in Amsterdam, NY....

Problem is, if you call the number listed all I get is a message: "cannot be connected... please check the number and try again..." But this IS the number on their web site. BUT...so far no phone connection... no responses to emails... no responses to FB inquiries.

Whatever is going on, something is horribly wrong here...

Posted on: 2023/11/14 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Agree. Very strange that you cannot get in touch with the seller. These ads were all posted on FB quite recently.

This individual bought several cars at the C.Louis Ablelove auctions, apparently with the intention of flipping them for a profit. But I think he may have gotten in over his head. These are all rough project cars and will be a hard sell. He could end up sitting these for months or even years. And probably not much profit potential, especially when you factor in the high auction commissions.

Posted on: 2023/11/14 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
Agree. Very strange that you cannot get in touch with the seller. These ads were all posted on FB quite recently.

This individual bought several cars at the C.Louis Ablelove auctions, apparently with the intention of flipping them for a profit. But I think he may have gotten in over his head. These are all rough project cars and will be a hard sell. He could end up sitting these for months or even years. And probably not much profit potential, especially when you factor in the high auction commissions.

• Phone number listed on web site does not work.

• No response to Facebook inquiries.

• No response to emails.

So. Is this supposed sale REAL?

Doesn't look that way...!

Posted on: 2023/11/15 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Well, the cars are real. Although I did not go to the public viewing for the Phase 1 auction in November 2021, I did download and save the auction catalog. I was able to find all of these cars and their lot number, along with the sale price. I can confirm that they were all purchased by the same individual, though I don't know his identity, only his user name for the online auction. Still, it does seem strange that you cannot contact him.

Posted on: 2023/11/15 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packardsix1939 wrote:
Well, the cars are real. Although I did not go to the public viewing for the Phase 1 auction in November 2021, I did download and save the auction catalog. I was able to find all of these cars and their lot number, along with the sale price. I can confirm that they were all purchased by the same individual, though I don't know his identity, only his user name for the online auction. Still, it does seem strange that you cannot contact him.

Yes... I know that the cars are real... or WERE real.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Try it yourself. Try calling the towing business with the big web page on the internet. Try leaving a facebook message to the facebook seller. No can do.

So? What is realllllllllly going on here?????

Posted on: 2023/11/21 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Hi Leeedy: I was reviewing the C. Louis Ablelove auction results and this individual was using "antnucci" as his username for the online auction. This individual purchased a total of 35 cars at the Phase 1 auction held in November 2021 (out of 226 total lots) and an additional four vehicles at the Phase 2 auction held in April 2022. His Phase 1 purchases included a total of eight Caribbeans (four '53's, three '54's and one '56). While he did not purchase any of the available Caribbeans at the Phase 2 auction, he was the winning bidder on the 1937 120 Dietrich Convertible sedan, that, at $12,000, was one of the auction's top sellers. Several of these cars have since turned up for sale online on either FB Marketplace or Craigslist. I am not sure why he is responding to his ads, but maybe you could contact the auction company, Collar City Auctions. Here is contact information from their website:

CONTACT US
Randy Passonno - CAGA, ISA, Licensed & Bonded Auctioneer, Principal Real Estate Broker, Certified Appraiser, Realtor, President randyp@collarcityauctions.com

Audra M. Passonno - (Associate Real Estate Broker)audrap@collarcityauctions.com

Judith M. Stewart - (Associate Real Estate Broker)
judys@collarcityauctions.com

Appraisal Department - appraisals@collarcityauctions.com

Customer Service - service@collarcityauctions.com

Auction Questions - question@collarcityauctions.com

Reserve Your Auction Date - reserveauctiondate@collarcityauctions.com

Office/Hall Locations:

MAIN OFFICE:
9423 Western Turnpike (Rte. 20)
Delanson, NY 12053

Phone: (518) 895-8150 Fax: (518) 895-8152

Posted on: 2023/11/21 13:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved