Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Amateur night at the body shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I was around when 'bondo' first really hit the DIY market. Brazing, leading, and patch panels were it's big brother predecessor - not your typical home garage fare. It was a blessing in disguise for the snow country rust buckets. Anyone with limited skill or know how and a rattle can could cover up nature's undoing for cheap especially living in an inspection state were holes were verboten. About the most misused invention in all time. A little dab will do ya, wasn't not it's slogan.
Duct tape preceded me and its uncatalogued reputation for myriad uses.
This is the first time, in over 50 years, tinkering, I've seen duct tape used as 'seam sealer' and for bondoing over. You used to get a piece of screen with the bondo can but kinda fell out as costs rose. It's use was even spelled out in the instructions.
I knew when I bought this car(non P), it was revived by amateurs, but completee's I like and did not dissuade me from purchase. Something to work on "later". Part of it's heritage, so to speak. Been there, done that but wasn't scheduled for this level of repair right now among others.
Yankee ingenuity is one thing, but short cutting and lack of know-how is another. Maybe I shouldn't complain, but what one puts on, someone else has to take off - eventually - often at much greater effort. Plan accordingly. Self respect in your effort/craft at a minimum.
ps:I hope I didn't expose someone's secret repair method.

Attach file:

jpg  PB110091.JPG (143.18 KB)
13733_654fdfd667392.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2023/11/11 15:14
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved