Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1937 Super Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Good point, TxGoat. Also, presuming the clutch linkage is similar throughout those years, there is a large, U-shaped bracket that is part of the pedal linkage that is prone to wear. I know on mine, the holes were so elongated I ended up putting bushings in them to restore 'tightness' to the pedal motion. The proper fix would have been to weld them shut and redrill but I didn't have that available at the time so well greased brass bushings were an okay substitute and completely changed the motion and 'feel' of the pedal. Chris.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 16:09
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick
See User information
Hi guys, I took the car out on Sunday to participate in the Santa Claus parade. You can imagine how much clutch work there is for that, the pipers were so slow....!
The clutch performed perfectly until right at the end there was just a slight bit of hiss. And maybe I'm just super aware. My brother who came with me said he didn't hear a thing.
Anyway, I just wanted to ask what would you think is "heavy oil"? A gear oil perhaps? Maybe I could get a few more squirts into the bearing.

Posted on: 2023/11/20 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I only have a 120 so the tranny might be different, but on mine there is a well on the top of the clutch throw-out bearing collar with two ports drilled into it that will allow oil to be squirted into and wick down to lube the back of the bearing as well as the shaft.
You need to do this blind as it is at the top and you can only access it by removing the flywheel cover and then using a flexible gooseneck oiling can. As you can see from the image, a few squirts is all you need. The shop manual indicates 10W30, same as the crankcase so it will flow down the drilled lines.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  throwout collar.JPG (264.53 KB)
225215_655bb63ab3e9f.jpg 2030X1669 px

Posted on: 2023/11/20 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You might put just a little more oil on it. Too much may get on the clutch disc and cause trouble.

In some cases, a throw out bearing will give a slight hiss or brief squeak when the face of the bearing first contacts the pressure plate release fingers with the engine running. That usually doesn't indicate a problem as long as the bearing isn't stiff. Usually, enough oil or grease will seep out onto the face of the bearing to prevent this.

Posted on: 2023/11/20 14:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved