Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 187

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Need a bunch of parts for my 1941 120
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
So, here's the deal. I bought this 1941 not really sure what I wanted to do with it. A lot is missing from the dash area. I'm not an expert on these cars, so I have no idea what all is needed to piece it back together. Does anyone have a complete dash with all the switches, gauges, radio, trim, etc?? I still have the cluster. It's seen better days, but will probably clean up decently.

I'm also missing the inside trim that holds the windshield in place. I definitely need that.

The chrome trim is missing on the exterior between the two windshield panes.

The rear finish panel is missing.

Chrome pieces for the running boards are missing.

The 3 chrome bars that go above the bumper area are missing.

I also have a crack on the intake/exhaust and could use one of those if it is totally crack-free.

Oh, and does anyone know the availability on suspension bushings/ball joints/etc..? Kanter does not list them for a 1941 non-clipper, non-super..

I'm not concerned at all with originality at this point. I'm just curious what I can find, how much it will be, and then need to decide what route I'm going to go with getting the car on the road.

Thanks for looking!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_7217.jpg (427.76 KB)
226532_6563a1b27d78e.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_7218.jpg (403.40 KB)
226532_6563a1bb83e5b.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_7222.jpg (305.87 KB)
226532_6563a1c46b474.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_7223.jpg (345.43 KB)
226532_6563a1cd659e0.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_7225.jpg (391.49 KB)
226532_6563a1d580782.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_7226.jpg (311.25 KB)
226532_6563a1dde2a86.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/11/26 14:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Need a bunch of parts for my 1941 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I’m going to give you a general answer, having run down a number of 1941 parts myself. They are nearly all available - but not out of a catalog tomorrow. By that I mean it takes time to find people with the parts or parts cars. You’ll also need to learn which parts interchange with other models and years. For example, a 1941 110 has many of the same trim parts as your 120. This is meant as encouragement, just a caution that repro is very limited. It’s not like having a Model A or Mustang

Not sure what your “not concerned with originality” comment means, though

Posted on: 2023/11/26 16:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Not sure what your “not concerned with originality” comment means, though

Meaning - I don't care if the parts are OEM, aftermarket, 12V, 6V, or exactly correct for my 1941 etc.. I don't care about car show trophies, etc..

Posted on: 2023/11/26 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Other than some expensive parts such as the dash plastic that’s probably better replaced with new reproduction, it will probably save you considerable time and money to find a parts car and buy it. Of course, if you’re like me, you’ll probably want to restore it too!

For the inside windshield trim, it is just decorative and does not hold in the glass. The rubber alone does that. That said, my area of expertise is 1940 and even though I also owned a 1941 1901A 160” wheelbase Henney-Packard hearse for many, many years and do have some leftover parts from 1939-1941, sadly I cannot help with the manifold. I have manifolds but they are for later engines so likely would not fit a 282.

I’m sure that Tucson Packards can help you as Mike Circo has a number of 1941s. Gerry at Southwest Packards might also be able to help.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 17:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Seems your car was picked for parts already. Something to always consider when purchasing a non-complete vehicle. There's only so many made, then only so many survive, and survivors need parts and that limits the parts scene and causes what you have - a parts car. NOS has been depleted many decades.
Undecided, I suggest you take a critical look at it and decide if it's worth restoring or doing something else - sell, part out, custom, etc. before going forward. eg: graft in a modern dash, make the trim pieces, etc. Otherwise, they remain incomplete money and time pits not worth as much as you put in.
Pick projects carefully not on a whim/happenstance or because of a "deal". If one doesn't know why they buy before/what they're going to do with it/parts available/capable of, it's too late to walk away. Good luck.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 20:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
Seems your car was picked for parts already. Something to always consider when purchasing a non-complete vehicle. There's only so many made, then only so many survive, and survivors need parts and that limits the parts scene and causes what you have - a parts car. NOS has been depleted many decades.
Undecided, I suggest you take a critical look at it and decide if it's worth restoring or doing something else - sell, part out, custom, etc. before going forward. eg: graft in a modern dash, make the trim pieces, etc. Otherwise, they remain incomplete money and time pits not worth as much as you put in.
Pick projects carefully not on a whim/happenstance or because of a "deal". If one doesn't know why they buy before/what they're going to do with it/parts available/capable of, it's too late to walk away. Good luck.

I'm not planning on doing some restoration aimed at winning car shows. I just want a good driver/resto-mod. If I can get the misc. missing pieces, great. If not, I'll just get it running/driving the way it is.

The suspension / steering / bushing availability is the main factor in determining what I want to do with this car. I may take the body off and repair some rust damage, but only if I can replace all the typical wear items on the suspension, etc. So far, I don't think anyone produces them for a 41 120.

As far as choosing the perfect project... That seems impossible. Everything in life is a compromise. The perfect projects are usually already complete and running/driving. What's the fun in that? lol

In hindsight, I probably would have passed on this Packard, but it was a unique situation that I wasn't going to walk away from. I'm going to get it going on the road one way or another.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 21:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Other than some expensive parts such as the dash plastic that’s probably better replaced with new reproduction, it will probably save you considerable time and money to find a parts car and buy it. Of course, if you’re like me, you’ll probably want to restore it too!

For the inside windshield trim, it is just decorative and does not hold in the glass. The rubber alone does that. That said, my area of expertise is 1940 and even though I also owned a 1941 1901A 160” wheelbase Henney-Packard hearse for many, many years and do have some leftover parts from 1939-1941, sadly I cannot help with the manifold. I have manifolds but they are for later engines so likely would not fit a 282.

I’m sure that Tucson Packards can help you as Mike Circo has a number of 1941s. Gerry at Southwest Packards might also be able to help.

The windshield glass feels pretty floppy just with the rubber holding it in place. Not sure how much the inside trim will help that..But I would like to find it regardless.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
I sent you a PM, I have everything in stock to get it back on the road, gauges, dash plastic, switches, ect. A piece at a time, or the whole dash in one shot. 520-336-0057

Posted on: 2023/11/27 9:41
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:

Good grief. This is a hobby, and besides that, it goes without saying anymore that once you start restoring ANY car that's worth under $200,000 when finished that you'll have more into it than it's "worth." The value of restoring and enjoying old cars is not supposed to be measured in dollars.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 9:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Mike Chirco wrote:
I sent you a PM, I have everything in stock to get it back on the road, gauges, dash plastic, switches, ect. A piece at a time, or the whole dash in one shot. 520-336-0057
Yes sir. I will be in touch.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 11:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved