Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 242

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1941 120 3 Speed with Overdrive Wiring?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Can someone tell me what all this wiring is for going to the transmission? What is actually needed for the transmission to function? Does it have to do with overdrive? Neutral safety?

I have cars made 30 years later with zero wires going to the transmissions, so this is a bit surprising to me.

It looks like there is an inspection cover of sorts. I plan to pull that and try to see the condition of the clutch.

Also, are there good drain/fill plugs for the transmission? I assume fresh fluid would be a good idea before trying it out.

Thanks for any help!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_7228.jpg (431.91 KB)
226532_6563a905568a8.jpg 2016X1512 px

jpg  IMG_7230.jpg (362.45 KB)
226532_6563a90e4e02d.jpg 2016X1512 px

jpg  IMG_7231.jpg (536.91 KB)
226532_6563a9166dbe4.jpg 2016X1512 px

jpg  IMG_7234.jpg (481.37 KB)
226532_6563a91e0c737.jpg 2016X1512 px

Posted on: 2023/11/26 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 120 3 Speed with Overdrive Wiring?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The overdrive governor and solenoid are both electrically controlled and, if the car has Electromatic Clutch, then there may be some shift lever switches too. For just overdrive, none of the wires are needed for the transmission itself but, of course, they are if you want to use the overdrive. Packard did not use neutral lockouts on standard transmissions.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 15:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
The overdrive governor and solenoid are both electrically controlled and, if the car has Electromatic Clutch, then there may be some shift switches too. For just overdrive, none of the wires are needed for the transmission itself but, of course, they are if you want to use the overdrive. Packard did not use neutral lockouts on standard transmissions.

Hmm.. I wonder if this is the electromatic clutch transmission. The dash is too far apart to see if there is a switch for it.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If so, there would be a valving device mounted to the rear side of the head on the drive side through which the throttle linkages go. If fully installed, there would also be a large diaphragm also on the driver’s side mounted low on the engine which is what actually actuates the clutch and a relay on the firewall that is large like a voltage regulator but with eight terminals.

Your photo, however, clearly shows an overdrive transmission as the solenoid and governor are there but not enough to see if it also has Electromatic. Overdrive and Electromatic were each available separately but when used together it was the closest Packard had in that era to an automatic!

Posted on: 2023/11/26 17:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
If so, there would be a valving device mounted to the rear side of the head on the drive side through which the throttle linkages go. If fully installed, there would also be a large diaphragm also on the driver’s side mounted low on the engine which is what actually actuates the clutch and a relay on the firewall that is large like a voltage regulator but with eight terminals.

Your photo, however, clearly shows an overdrive transmission as the solenoid and governor are there but not enough to see if it also has Electromatic. Overdrive and Electromatic were each available separately but when used together it was the closest Packard had in that era to an automatic!

Ah OK..I don't think I have that then..

Posted on: 2023/11/26 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Don said, a couple of fairly large components on the side of the engine are needed to operate the clutch. Add to that, on your first photo, 7228, of the governor there is only one wire showing. If the car has an Electromatic clutch there would be a second wire on the governor so unless it is broken off I doubt the car has that option.. There would also be two switches on the transmission mounted on the side of the case opposite the shift levers. I did not see any wires going that direction.

Packard apparently did not provide actual photos of the engine showing the 41 EC components in manuals but there is an overall illustration of what you would see mounted on the engine and on the firewall in a 41 Service Letter.

Posted on: 2023/11/26 17:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
And the clutch pedal is black not red. I don’t think you’re missing out there as I see many of them left in « off »

Posted on: 2023/11/26 19:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

1941Packard
See User information
Sooo...if I leave all the wires going to the transmission disconnected, what will happen?

Posted on: 2023/11/26 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you’re not using the overdrive, nothing will happen but why do that? Unless you’re rewiring, maybe just leaving them alone is better

Posted on: 2023/11/27 2:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you leave them disconnected for now the transmission will act as a normal three speed and the overdrive will not operate. You will need to move that one lever on the passenger side forward to prevent the trans from freewheeling. Once upon a time there was a knob under the dash for doing that but who knows if that is still there.

Looking at all the mung I can see why you say they put lipstick on a pig.

Later on when other issues are under control you'll want the overdrive to work as it makes the car freeway capable.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 7:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved