Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

kevinpackard, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

288 and 327 interchangeable Parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hey Folks, I hope you all had a nice Thanks Giving. I have a 1950 Super 8 with a 327 engine. I currently am looking for a better exhaust manifold before replacing the gasket on mine. What I found was a complete 288 engine, but frozen up for cheep. What I am wondering is what other parts are interchangeable between these two cousins. Crank?, Cam?. water pump?.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/11/27 11:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 288 and 327 interchangeable Parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you have a whole evening to spare, you can probably go thru the part diagrams and then search each group number on here to see what parts go to what. Of course, this won’t tell you when a different part would work, but it’s a start.

I’m planning on doing this for the V8’s sometime as I have a 320 and 352.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 12:05
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
In the reference book I found so far.
Compression 7 to 1 both. Cam bearings 5, both. Crank 5 mains both. Journal Dia, 2.7465 both. Connecting rods journal dia, 2.250 both. Piston pin size 3 1/64 x 7/8" both. Distributor AutoLite and Delco same for both cars. Bore 3 1/2 both. The only difference so far is the stroke. The 288 is 3 3/4, and the 327 is 4 1/4. So far so good.

Anymore info would be great!

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/11/27 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Easier said, the ONLY things they changed between 288s and 327 were the crank, rods, manifold, and head. Carbs were jetted differently, and intake manifold runners were slightly smaller on the 288. Exhaust manifolds are the same. This is assuming both have solid lifters.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Ross. My 50 does not have Hydrualic lifters, I'm sure the 52 would. Even though the intake manifold would be slightly smaller in diameter, do you precieve any real issues with the swap. My thought was to get another exhaust and Intake manifold as a set. Have them planed as a set. Pull the old ones off and put the new ones on in the same day. If you feel the 288 ones would not work correctly, I'll wait until I can find a set for a 327.

Posted on: 2023/11/27 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Good News. I did find a 327 intake and exhaust manifold set off a 1951 400. I called the gentlemen today. We made the deal, and I found him to be very reasonable $ 150.00 for the set up, plus he's taking it off for me!. I thank you all for your information, especially Ross, for his simple easy answer to my questions. I really appreciate everyone's input, and the wonderful group here at Packard info.

Thanks
Dave O

Posted on: 2023/11/28 12:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved