Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 218

Todd W. White, BDeB, Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Relays
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Does anyone know how to reconcile the 3- digit number stamped on the mounting flange of the relay to the Packard part number? Example: Is an "895" a Packard part number 472083.

Posted on: 12/4 18:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Relays
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The numbers stamped on parts typically have no relation to part numbers as they were made by outside vendors. Sometimes the same part can have a different number depending on who manufactured it.

Posted on: 12/4 18:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
These are all Delco-Remy relays.

Posted on: 12/4 18:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not counting the overdrive relay and the special PB shift relay, Packard used 3 other style relays in 55-6. In some literature the TL solenoids are also called relays. Those are not typical starter type solenoids either but rather the TL solenoids need a ground to operate.

Most often the black can type power relay used was for providing power to windows, AC circuits, PB start interlock etc and is a regular normally open 3 terminal type relay and needs voltage on terminal 3 to operate the coil. The second power relay such as used on the door locks and horn looks the same and is also normally open but needs ground on terminal 3 to operate. The third type is also a power relay but usually has a silver can and is a normally open / normally closed type with 4 terminals. It is used for the PB auto park function and its coil needs power to operate.

As Don said, the numbers may be meaningless but if you have an unknown type you could compare it's number and/or operating characteristics to one of the known others and see if you can identify that way..

Posted on: 12/4 18:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The term solenoid is often misused but these are relays. A solenoid is similar but the electrical power on a solenoid triggers mechanical motion such as the 1954 senior starter solenoids which physically engage the starter gear to the flywheel. On a relay, an electrical connection is made but no more.

Posted on: 12/4 20:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Basically, trying to verify if the "895" is the PB start relay or is it the "841". The relays used for the power windows, A/C circuit and PB start relay are all 472083's according to the parts book. The relay for the power windows that was in my car when I bought it is an "895". So, I am assuming (I know, I know) that since this same Packard part number is used on those 3 circuits, that the start relay and A/C relay are "895's" also. Confusion is coming from a couple of the original Delco "can" containers I have indicate start relay is an "841". This is what I am hoping to clear up.

Posted on: 12/5 16:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved