Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 168

humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, Peter Packard, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 Radio Removal Instructions
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yesterday I removed the radio from my Clipper and I found the process to be somewhat frustrating, so I thought I'd share some tips here. As many of us know, the radio installation is explained in the Accessories section of the service manual, but it is not particularly useful for removing a radio.

First, I would advise to remove the glovebox and passenger ashtray. It takes some extra effort, but one will likely find that the effort required is well repaid in easier access to the radio mounting hardware and wiring components. The glovebox door is optionally removed by 4 screws in plain sight when the door is opened. Then the glovebox is held in simply with a multitude of Phillips screws all around the opening which screw into speed nuts integrated into the flocked cardboard from which the glovebox is made. But first, note the glovebox light at the top left and its power wire running through a hole in the glovebox. Gently pull the slack in the wire through the hole until you see the bullet connector. Hold the insulator and the glovebox light wire; pull to separate. Now you can remove the Phillips screws; the glovebox then rotates out away from you and down. Remove the passenger ashtray proper by pulling it out and depressing the tab, then remove its holder by unscrewing the 3 Phillips screws. Now, you will have easier access to the necessary areas and more room to swing a ratchet.

Note the two connections on the speaker unit. Unplug the 3 prong plug, and disconnect the power wire by grasping the wire on the speaker side, and the insulator, and gently pulling/wiggling the two apart. Locate the radio power wire on the fusebox and pull/wiggle to remove. Locate the antenna cable on the right side of the radio head unit and pull straight out to remove. Now the radio is electrically disconnected and the two halves are disconnected from each other.

Depress a small screwdriver into the radio knob notch to remove both knobs. Gently wiggle and pull the Tone and Sensitivity levers (if equipped) to remove them. Use a socket to remove the low-profile nuts and labels. Reach behind the radio head unit and remove the Keps nut and washer holding the rear of the radio head unit up. Gently push the bracket off the stud and rotate the back of the radio down to remove it. Note, there is a washer between the radio and bracket.

Look under the passenger side of the dash for two screw heads. Unscrew these to detach the bottom of the speaker unit. Note, they have mating nuts on the top. Then crawl under the dash and remove the nuts from the T-Bolts popped into the dash. Sometimes these bolts don't much like to stay in place once loosened a bit, and the head of the bolt must be pushed forward for the bolt to again index to its mating hole and the nut to unscrew easily. Once these nuts are removed, the speaker unit can be easily removed from under the dash.

P.S. Once all this is done, it is of trivial difficulty to remove the two nuts holding the clock on, unscrew the nut for the one power wire and remove the light socket, and get it repaired too.

Here are the radio hardware connections:
Click to see original Image in a new window

Here are the radio electrical connections (except antenna cable):
Click to see original Image in a new window

Please let me know if you have any other tips or if this helped you out.

Posted on: 12/10 12:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Radio Removal Instructions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
It's been awhile since I removed the radio out of our '55 Caribbean, but when I did I also remove the glove box liner and door. Your write up is very extensive so I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

We had an Aurora Design AM/FM radio with Bluetooth installed in it. This radio required a negative ground so we changed that at that time (there are post on this website that discuss this). Switching the polarity on the ground also also installing an anti-thief device.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Posted on: 12/13 17:13
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks!

Quote:

Marty or Marston wrote:
Switching the polarity on the ground also also installing an anti-thief device.

Why do you say this?

Posted on: 12/13 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The Aurora kit that was installed in the car's original radio (OR) requires a negative ground. The kit replaces most of the internals in the OR. The front remains the same and the Wonderbar tuner is there and still functions.

This way the car has AM/FM, Bluetooth and can function as a "Hands Free" radio when your phone is connected to the radio.

Posted on: 12/16 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
I had a similar conversion done on my patrician. it is pretty nifty!

Posted on: 12/21 11:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

AJboy123
See User information
Does anyone know if the radio has a bulb behind the tuner glass? I was able to get our map light working in our 55 Patrician but only comes on when the pass and driver doors are open. I thought it would come on when the headlights and dash lights are on

Posted on: 2/25 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Radio tuner light only illuminates when the radio is turned on.

Posted on: 2/25 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

AJboy123 wrote:
Does anyone know if the radio has a bulb behind the tuner glass? I was able to get our map light working in our 55 Patrician but only comes on when the pass and driver doors are open. I thought it would come on when the headlights and dash lights are on

Kind of two different questions there:
- the radio has a single light bulb of the same type as the dash lights, placed on the center front of the top of the radio. It is on if and only if the radio is on and works independently of whether the radio works.

- the map light (front) illuminates when either front door is open. The reading light (rear) when either rear door is open. If you turn the headlight switch to the second position from the left, regardless of whether it is pulled out, both should illuminate. If not, the switch needs cleaned. I have a video on it:https://youtu.be/WCrITzIRfvk?si=So5ddFEivjo1YSd-

Posted on: 2/25 19:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved