Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

DJP-37-120, kg911, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Clipper paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I have a couple of different paint cards for 1941 Packards and I've looked at the Paint Cross-Reference but I haven't seen anywhere whether any colors were Clipper specific or more common. My Clipper has a blue/silver combo which at first I thought was an original repaint but then noticed under the missing rocker moulding a maroon that had not been painted over so I am assuming that one of the maroons was original (need to match to paint cards). I'm partial to maroon so I am looking to return to original but I'm not sure if the top was a different color or the maroon/silver combo I've seen listed or something else. If anyone has info or examples to share that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 12/11 23:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Clipper paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I just looked at the copy of Packard's "Information on 1941 Cars" brochure in the Literature Archives and it does not indicate that there were any colors unique to the Clipper.

Your best bet is to find the production sheet that is often stuffed in between your gas tank filler tube and the vent tube. That paper build sheet should include the factory paint code. My '47 Clipper, which was in much worse shape than yours, still had its completely intact. If you can locate yours, use extreme caution removing it as the paper was jammed tight in between the two tubes. I successfully removed the very brittle sheet by gently prying the tubes apart and slipping it out. Had I tried to pull it straight out it would have disintegrated for sure.

Good luck.

Posted on: 12/12 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t know much about the Clippers or whether it applied only to postwar cars but on those, it was two-tone only if the stainless belt moulding wrapped around the back too. If it didn’t, then the two-tone was added later and wasn’t available that way when new..

Posted on: 12/12 2:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I believe one of the few differences between the 46 and 47 was a different color break at the rear of sedans. One follows the curve under the rear window, leaving the deck lid lower color. The other has the deck lid top color.

Posted on: 12/12 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I'll have to check for that paper so good to know to check.

I am not sure which you define as the belt moulding wrapping around the back (or how far, etc.) but mine runs from door window bottom to about 3/4 down the trunk. I haven't yet come across anything different though.

Posted on: 12/12 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1941 Dealer Information booklet in the literature archive dated January 1941 shows the same 16 paint schemes for all models including the Clipper.
The only marooni is Laguna Maroon Metallic, Paint scheme E which is also listed for the 1941 Clipper at the front of the 1941 to 1947 Master Parts Book
Two tone combinations are also shown

Posted on: 12/12 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I was looking for some other info in my Clipper Master Parts Book and it lists all the paint and trim options by model (I guess I had skipped that or just a bad memory). And based on my seeing a maroon on the lower section under the trim, and referencing the chart it appears that the 1951 would only have had maroon on the lower if it was 100% maroon. I was also able to confirm the interior trim as tan stripe broadcloth. The blue lower/gray upper combo mine has was only for the 21st series.

Posted on: 12/13 19:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved