Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 39

Alvin14, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Funny things said to you while driving your Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I got asked this weekend two funny things said about my 32.

lady: That's a beautiful car. Is that a Model T?

man: Did you have to go to England pick the car up. Obviously he thought it was a Rolls.

lady: Packard didn't make many cars, did they?

I always get asked:

1. Is that a step so you can work on the engine? (as they point towards the battery box which is between the fender and the hood)

2. Are you lights (Pilot Rays) controlled from inside the car remotely?

3. What do you call that door? (As they are pointing towards the golf club door with my golf clubs underneath the door lying on the running board)

4. Who made a packard?

Posted on: 2009/5/18 18:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Funny things said to you while driving your Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
who made Packards?

Were those made by Chevy/Ford?

Is that a Cadillac?

Is that the car from Chrisine?

Posted on: 2009/5/18 19:04
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i always get:

A 352! so it's a FORD!
No offense to the ford guys, but my answer is usually @#$^ NO! dose THAT look like a FORD??!!
and the usual response to that is: i don't know, what do ford 352's look like???

OH MY GOD!!!!

Posted on: 2009/5/18 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I get these.
1. Who made Packard?
2. Who built engines for them?
I have the name of my repair/sales shop "North Hills Packards" on the side of my shop truck. So, I get
3. where is your shop? I need a new laptop.
4. What year Hudson is that? The 1949 only says Packard on the trunk.
I used to get irritated. But, now I just get amused at the extent of the general public's ignorance and try to educate them.
Oh yes, I also get the question "what year Chevy did it come out of" when I tell them it has a 327 in it.
I also have gotten a question about my power windows. One gentleman asked my wife, at a show, what kind of power windows are those, what kind of car did they come out of. She politely told him they came in the car. He said no, what kind of car did they come out of. She told him they came in the car when it was new from the factory. He went away mumbling about what a dumb broad she was. I'll have to admit, that one irked me.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 20:09
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
This may not be too funny, but it was an interesting encounter, close to road rage. While touring in and around the Detroit area a few years ago in our '52 Mayfair, a fellow pulled up beside us at a traffic light and rolled his window down. My wife did the same expecting to receive a nice "thumbs up" compliment from the fellow as had been our experience from many Detroiters for several days on the tour. Instead, he proceeded to curse and yelled "if the G** D*** old junker can't keep up with the traffic, park it!" Now you have to understand, we were not on the expressways or in caravan, and the surface streets in that area are littered with enormous pot holes to avoid. . . and, he was driving a 90's something Ford compact with too many dents and scrapes to mention! My wife just looked his way and said, "You have a nice day too, sir." He sped off in a cloud of blue smoke!

Posted on: 2009/5/18 21:25
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Road rage is scary, but I find that I do slow traffic not because they are behind me, but because of the gawking. Saturday while waiting to make a left hand turn at a light, a lady in a SUV in the right habd turn lane stops. She rolls down her window ask me what kind of car it is, and takes a picture while holding up traffic trying to make a right hand turn.

It's sorta fun to be the center of attention

Ken

Posted on: 2009/5/18 23:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'm laughing and enjoying this thread. I hope everyone contributes to it - I know we all have had dumb questions or odd encounters. Some of them make you laugh - others are an irritant.
I had a fellow ask me at a cruise if my Packard had that "air ride". I politely said that Packard didn't have an "air ride" but the car was controlled by torsion bars. He got angry and told me that his uncle had one of these and it definitely had an "air ride". I was looking in the trunk for something so I just kept on looking and ignored the "expert". After making some other comments and getting no response, he walked away.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
While I haven't actually driven my Packard yet, I've had a few encounters. I hear a lot of the old-timers in Duryea (town next to mine) were talking about the "Hudson" that came through on a flatbed the day my Packard was delivered. My neighbor two doors up asked to hear the horn. Random stranger in alley behind my shop told me how nice my old Chevy is. I explained to him that it was a Packard and yes, they were a car company but not part of "The Big Three". He asked when they switched from making cars to computers.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 0:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
In the '38, out for a quiet early New Year's morning drive, and a guy on a corner obviously coming home from the previous evening's festivities, points and cries out "itsssh a rolls royce". Gave him a toot and a wave and continued on my way with a big smile on my face.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.65 KB)
226_4a128540dc028.jpg 512X384 px

Posted on: 2009/5/19 5:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
Hope this isn't too far off topic... While waiting at a traffic light in my '49 GMC, a guy pulled up next to me in a mid 80's Izuzu Trooper, rolled down his passenger window and asked if it was a diesel? I politely responded, "no, just plain ole regular gasoline". His response was that it was an "Enviromental Disaster". and that he usually drives a diesel VW...

So I am here to admit that I officially have E.D.

Some people....

Posted on: 2009/5/19 9:53
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved