Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

V12 Clutch Help
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Hoping someone can shed a little light here. I'm trying to remove the clutch from this '37 V12 engine and not having any luck. The eight large bolts that hold the bell housing ring (not sure what it's called) to the block have been removed. Also, the twelve bolts that attach the pressure plate to the flywheel have been removed. Yet, it won't come off. If I tap the bell housing with a plastic mallet it sounds loose, but won't budge. The pressure plate sounds solid when tapped. Don't want to cause any damage, so proceeding cautiously.

What am I missing?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/9 18:44
 Top  Print   

Re: V12 Clutch Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Not there myself.

But my dad's 36 is apart

And from I have seen its like a regular clutch.

Just HEAVY.

I can that picture tomorrow. To show inside pressure plate.

Posted on: 2/10 1:14
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Rafaga,

to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your query.

However, I invite you to include your '37 V12 Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry

Posted on: 2/10 2:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There are probably some pins in the block which locate the bell housing. They may be the cause of not getting the bell housing removed. Also, before going any farther, reinstall a few of the pressure plate cap screws. This will keep the pressure plate from coming off with the housing. You can remove the plate after the housing is off (I think). There are others here who have actually worked on the V-12s and can either verify what I have written or give you the correct info.

Posted on: 2/10 13:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:
There are probably some pins in the block which locate the bell housing. They may be the cause of not getting the bell housing removed. Also, before going any farther, reinstall a few of the pressure plate cap screws. This will keep the pressure plate from coming off with the housing. You can remove the plate after the housing is off (I think). There are others here who have actually worked on the V-12s and can either verify what I have written or give you the correct info.

Thanks for that info. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but didn't know for certain. Good advice on the pressure plate.

Posted on: 2/10 17:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day Rafaga,

to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your query.

However, I invite you to include your '37 V12 Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry

Hi Ozststman,
I don't have a complete car to register. What I have is this '37 engine and a '37 Super 8 chassis.

Posted on: 2/10 17:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Rafaga wrote: Hi Ozstatman,
I don't have a complete car to register. What I have is this '37 engine and a '37 Super 8 chassis.

Hmm......Somewhat of a quandary. Not really enough to register as a "Packard", although there have been a oouple of rare instances where a chassis oomplete with an engine has made it on to the Registry. In your case, disparate chassis aand engine types doesn't quailfy what you have as complete enough to be classified as a "Packard". I'm sorry. But, it's an interesting collection of "parts".

However, I for one, would like to know how you came to acquire the engine and chassis? Love to see you in the Registry, if you ever have the sheet metal together with a chassis/engine combo, please do so.

Posted on: 2/10 19:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed, like most DMVs they consider a vehicle to be the cowl. Everything else can be swapped around, but generally the core body shell/cowl is the actual physical entity.

Posted on: 2/12 14:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If either has a serial number, the PAC roster keeper would be interested.

I don't know who it is offhand for these, though.

Posted on: 2/12 19:02
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

1887mike
See User information
I purchased a complete 1937 1506 1023 that started and ran smooth. I was told about the clutch being frozen to the flyWheel. No amount of bumping would loosen it. Maybe yours is frozen up also? I finally got it pealed off and rebuilt. No pins To keep it in place. You aligned everything with the normal type alignment tool. The car had set for decades without being moved.

Posted on: 2/12 22:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved