Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 152

HH56, Ross, West Peterson, DJP-37-120, bkazmer, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Photo of a Henney flower car from my collection
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
PackardDon and I were discussing Henney professional cars after a recent post I made in the Packard vehicles for sale forum, and I recalled having this photo of a 22nd Series Henney flower car. It was taken at the PAC National meet in Pittsburgh, PA in 1986. Thought I would share with everyone. Very interesting vehicle as it is a combination hearse/flower car with a compartment underneath for a casket.

Attach file:

jpg  1948_Henney.jpg (417.38 KB)
225503_65ca35f3b3662.jpg 2633X983 px

Posted on: 2/12 10:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Photo of a Henney flower car from my collection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That might be George Hamlin’s car but if not, he has one like it. George runs the virtual Henney chapter of the Professional Car Society of which I am a member. I only ever saw one once myself and that was in Fresno, CA for a meet between Northern California and the Southern California chapters of PAC (Fresno is more or less midway). I drove my 1952 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way for the several-day event.

The compartment underneath did have rollers in the floor and could carry the casket during a funeral but typically it was not used for that purpose. The rollers were primarily for picking up the casket from the maker when a service car was not available. Per the other post, a service car is like the panel truck or sedan delivery of the funeral industry without side windows (other than the front doors, of curse) and was a utility vehicle. My 1951 USAF ambulance was based on a service car body.

Posted on: 2/12 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This is definitely George Hamlin's flower car as seen at the 2015 PAC National Meet in Wyomissing, PA., photo by this writer.

Attach file:

jpg  Reading 2015 095.JPG (253.31 KB)
177_65ca5e784671d.jpg 1500X919 px

Posted on: 2/12 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Actually, George's Flower Car has both 22nd and 23rd Series trim, so that's not the car. George drove his 1947 Custom Super Clipper to the 1986 Meet. The car at the Pittsburgh National Meet belonged to Melvin Siebart.

Posted on: 2/12 16:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
On my 2012 US trip I visited the Fort Lauderdale Packard Museum, which contained a wealth of Packards, amongst which was this 1938 Henney Flower Car. Not what's being discussed here, but similar, I thought the photos might be of interest.
Sorry for the photo quality, at the time I didn't have a very good camera.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/12 16:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oops, my error. Thanks ECA for the correction on the car ownership.

EDIT, sorry ECA, I have to disagree. The meet registration shows that the only flower car registered was George Hamlins.

Posted on: 2/12 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
That might be George Hamlin’s car but if not, he has one like it. George runs the virtual Henney chapter of the Professional Car Society of which I am a member. I only ever saw one once myself and that was in Fresno, CA for a meet between Northern California and the Southern California chapters of PAC (Fresno is more or less midway). I drove my 1952 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way for the several-day event.

The compartment underneath did have rollers in the floor and could carry the casket during a funeral but typically it was not used for that purpose. The rollers were primarily for picking up the casket from the maker when a service car was not available. Per the other post, a service car is like the panel truck or sedan delivery of the funeral industry without side windows (other than the front doors, of curse) and was a utility vehicle. My 1951 USAF ambulance was based on a service car body.

Don, there was a 22-23 series flower car down here around that early to mid 80s time and might have been the one you saw. It was shown at the Fresno Concours once or twice and I think it was at a joint meet in Hanford sponsored by San Joaquin Packards. As I recall it was owned by a fellow with last name of Bartell who lived in Kingsburg, CA. It was sold I think by the late 80s when he thinned his collection but no idea where it went.

Posted on: 2/12 18:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just checked the registration info for the 2015 PA meet, it confirms that the only Henney flower car registered WAS owned by George Hamlin.

Posted on: 2/12 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Just to confirm, Melvin Siebart brought his Flower Car to the 1986 PAC National Meet in Pittsburgh, while George Hamlin brought his out to the 2015 Meet.

Posted on: 2/12 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Actually, George's Flower Car has both 22nd and 23rd Series trim, so that's not the car. George drove his 1947 Custom Super Clipper to the 1986 Meet. The car at the Pittsburgh National Meet belonged to Melvin Siebart.

George’s car was actually a 1950 as the Henney-Packards didn’t always have the same trim as the passenger cars. For example, the 1953 lineup had 1953 front fender trim but had 1951-1952 rear stone guards and fender trim. The same was true with other makes and coachbuilders such as my former 1960 Superior-Pontiac Landau which had 1959 backup lights.

Posted on: 2/13 3:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved