Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

DM37, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Windows but I broke the Door Lock Button - How do I fix?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I have a question for you guys? I had a cracked window and before I knew it I was replacing all four windows and window seals cause I thought restoring one side up and not the other wouldn't look right. Anyway when I came home, I noticed the passenger front door button (lock) was all the way down in the locked position. I violated the rule of not forcing anything and I pulled the button up hard and the button snapped off. Now what? Do I take the door panel off and try to put on a new button after figuring out why it was stuck. I can tell I cracked the lock button. Since it wasn't like this when I brought it in for windows what is the chance new windows has something to do with the stuck lock? How hard is it to take off the door panel - anyway? Thanks

Posted on: 2009/5/20 21:46
 Top  Print   

Re: New Windows but I broke the Door Lock Button - How do I fix?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The door panel is not terribly hard to remove. It is held on by spring clips which push into holes in door. Don't remember on a Clipper if lock button goes thru molding or is on face of door panel but since yours broken, one less thing to worry about removing. There may be a screw or two down low if someone has been there before so look for any and remove.

Start by removing the screws around inside window molding and remove. On some windows, the molding is actually behind a clip so once the screws removed, the molding has to be pulled down slightly and then out to clear the clip. The door and window handles are held on by pins thru their respective shaft and handle. Somewhere fairly close to each handle, push panel in very hard against a spring--maybe half inch or so-- until you see the pin and then push pin out with a punch or awl.

After handles removed, use a sturdy and fairly wide but thin flat bar around the edge of panel and pry clips out of door. There are several on each edge maybe 8-10 inches apart. The clips may be rusted and may break. Replacements are available from restoration specialties. The old door panel is a different story and a narrow tool may tear the clips out of the board material so go slowly and be careful. Once all the clips are loose, panel can be lifted up off the arm rest bracket and removed. Don't think you have power windows, but if so, then 3 wires will have to be disconnected from switch before panel can be taken away.

The lock mechanism is attached to the knob by a rod which essentially moves a lever up and down. You should be able to see what the problem is once panel is removed.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It is hard to take off a door panel without damaging it, unless you have a special tool.

The special tool is made of a 2 1/2 or 3" wide scraper or putty knife. You take the scraper and grind a notch in the middle about 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide.

Now you can slide the tool under the door panel and feel around for the clip. Get the clip in the notch and pry it out.

One of those gadgets you use to pry dandelions out of your lawn may work as well but I haven't tried it.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 11:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Frank,

The recommend way to pull the door panels of is this.

1) Remove the lock knob:

On the 51-54 Clippers you remove the plastic lock knob from it's shaft using a heat gun to soften the plastic so it will slip off the shaft. Packard used some Rube-Goldberg type heating device to do this.

2) Remove the window reveal (garnish moulding) .

Loosen the screws that hold the reveal in place, and remove it.

3) Remove the window, and door handle cranks

4) Pop the panel loose. They make specific tools for popping those clips, but I find a wide bladed putty knife (or spackling knife) works great also.

To reinstall, just reverse the order.

Possibly the lock mechanism need to be lubricated and worked back and forth. Also make sure the lock linkage rods are not binding on anything.

You have to do all of this because the Window Reveal over laps the top of the door panel by a couple of inches. You may be able to wiggle the panel out, but then risk damaging the panel. But you cant remove the Window Reveal without removing the plastic lock knob. The knob is press fit onto the shaft, so that is the reason you have to heat it soften the plastic enough to pull it loose.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 12:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I usually use either the claw end of a hammer or the flat part of a nail puller bar. Just about anything suggested here or above will work just fine with a little patience.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
HH/Rusty/Kev/Chuck - thanks for all of the great advice on this. The glass shop owner (Galvin Glass in Bellevue, Ne) is a great guy. He said just bring it back to him and he would take the panel off and get the knob fixed (no charge). Between your notes and my watching him closely, I'm gonna figure this out. This is important because down the road, I may want to take all the panels off and bring them into an upholstery shop and get them restored. I may be wrong but I think it may be able to get a better price if I bring them in already off the car ready to be worked on. Again - thanks for the advice and have a great Memorial Day Weekend.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 14:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved