Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generator Terminals and Wire Gauges
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Hey, all. Just looking for confirmation on a couple of things. Looking to rewire my generator/regulator connections. Autolitle setup on a 23rd series here.

On the gen, confirming that the bottom, i.e. larger terminal is the armature, and top, i.e. smaller terminal is the field.

For the wires, wanted to confirm proper gauges:

Armature - 10 gauge
Field - 12 gauge
Gen ground to headlight junction block, and block to regulator - 12 gauge
Ammeter to stater terminal - 10 gauge?

I'm also going to be replacing the junction block itself. Pretty crusty. Please set me straight if I'm off on any of this. Thank you!

Attach file:

jpg  20240215_092946.jpg (2,707.37 KB)
225648_65ce210f3c1ff.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 2/15 9:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator Terminals and Wire Gauges
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
6v model looms almost all used the same size wire for the same runs. 22 and 23 series car looms are almost identical in layout but there is a difference in turn signal and brake light wiring. Most of the run identifier numbers should be the same so use your 23rd series chart to find the run and wire size on this chart which is labeled for a 22nd series. I believe the chart might have been originally posted by BDeB. For example the run between the generator armature terminal and regulator terminal is #3 which the chart says is 10ga and is a red wire with black tracer.

As to identifying the terminals on the generator, the size sounds correct with A being the larger one but each generator model may have a different layout. if you look carefully on the generator case there should be an A or an F stamped in the metal very near the terminals. Dirt and coats of paint could be obscuring the stamp.

Sometimes the studs and frame on the junction blocks can be cleaned with a bit of elbow grease and rust remover but if the barrier paper separating the terminals is also in poor condition or missing entirely then replacement is probably the best option. Modern terminals will work and can usually be found on ebay or maybe Amazon but do not look exactly the same or may not be the same size as the old ones. If looks is a consideration some of the wire loom vendors such as YnZ or RI Wiring sometimes sell the older styles but at a price.

On the same 22nd series wire size and color chart topic, for those with 51-4 cars the 54 wire diagram has a similar chart that will work for those models.

Attach file:

pdf 22nd wire index.pdf Size: 162.14 KB; Hits: 122

Posted on: 2/15 10:28
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Howard - wow, this is amazing. I have been looking for this sort of chart for ages, just apparently in all the wrong places.

And no worries on the junction block - they're sold on PackardParts.org for $26. That seemed fair to me, so I grabbed one. Thank you again!

Posted on: 2/15 11:44
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The shop manual should also have the complete wiring diagram and that will have the wire GA and insulation color. I know I got it, not sure in where.
Rules of thumb,
The connecting stud is usually sized for the proper terminal connector. If hole is too big or too small to fit, it's the wrong wire GA. Terminals come with a 2 size range typically, like 14-16, 18-20, etc. By good quality and stay away from the cheapo offshore stuff. International EC permits stuff that's "iffy".
6 VDC is typically larger GA due to increased amperage due to lower voltage. V=IR, R constant. Diam determines ampacity so non-linear, R^2 law.

Make sure you got a good crimper with the proper dies. Terminals can be obtained from the usual auto electric supplies or carriers. Del City, etc. Even though its nor OEM, I like to shrink wrap each connector. Gives a finished touch and prevents corrosion and puking apart. SAE doesn't permit soldering, but I don't see an issue if you want a better connection, however, residual acid solder flux should be removed. I only do it, if it's a single crimp w/o the insulation crimp. Plus the insulation may discolor and why it helps to shrink wrap.

Posted on: 2/19 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Never use acid core solder with anything electrical. That’s for plumbing only.

Posted on: 2/19 12:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved