Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

kingpins 54 Cavalier
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
The Kingpins on our new to us 54 Cavalier are noisy. I had that problem with a 47 and fresh grease solved the problem. Using my pneumatic grease gun, I could not get them to take the grease. I guess it has been so long since it was greased that the grease got hard and is blocking fresh lubricant. Was wondering if I could use carb cleaner and then try again? If it still won't take fresh grease. what size do I look for in new fittings? I realize the kingpins may be bad but I want to get fresh grease in them before throwing in the towel.

Posted on: 2/18 19:59
 Top  Print   

Re: kingpins 54 Cavalier
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I've used heat for an electric heat gun (industrial hair drier) to soften the old grease enough to push in new.

DP

Posted on: 2/18 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if this is the fitting in question and you do need to change them, here are the specs.

Attach file:

jpg  knuckle fitting.jpg (199.46 KB)
209_65d2b04b7adaf.jpg 918X960 px

jpg  knuckle fitting 1.jpg (144.04 KB)
209_65d2b0564e4ca.jpg 1774X366 px

jpg  knuckle fitting 2.jpg (209.87 KB)
209_65d2b064dddc6.jpg 1262X544 px

Posted on: 2/18 20:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Don't have a heat gun but maybe a hair dryer might work.

Posted on: 2/18 20:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Thanks.

Posted on: 2/18 20:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
Remove zerc, drill out old waxy grease (by hand), install new zerc, and grease. If need be, heat with heat gun. PB

Posted on: 2/19 7:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
All of above try Unload by jacking car suspension hanging down turn steering different place lock to lock try at different places where you stop steering

Posted on: 2/19 11:39
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On both my 54 and 37 I replaced every grease fitting with new ones. You can get an assortment box off of Amazon for less than $15 that will last you the rest of your life.

Life's too short to fight rusty, stuck zerk fittings.

You can also buy a heat gun at HF for less than $15. It has a multitude of uses.

Posted on: 2/19 12:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Tommy Baccaro wrote:
The Kingpins on our new to us 54 Cavalier are noisy. I had that problem with a 47 and fresh grease solved the problem. Using my pneumatic grease gun, I could not get them to take the grease. I guess it has been so long since it was greased that the grease got hard and is blocking fresh lubricant. Was wondering if I could use carb cleaner and then try again? If it still won't take fresh grease. what size do I look for in new fittings? I realize the kingpins may be bad but I want to get fresh grease in them before throwing in the towel.

What kind of noise do they make? Squeaking? Grinding? Just curious, got no answers for you. I'm the sort that would probably pull everything apart and clean, check and replace any worn parts. And of course paint everything before reassembling. LOL

Posted on: 2/19 12:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved