Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Not sure what I have exactly
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave1970
See User information
Hello,
I'm new to the site and new to Packards.
I thought I had a 1948 Limo but the car has only a couple of identifying numbers. A body number that told me it was in fact not a limp and an engine number that tells me it doesn't exist. It has 141 or 144 onxh wheelbase with jump seats and what used to be a plush interior but no sliding window between the driver and passengers.
The body number I found behind the heater box is 2271-2820 the engine number I found by the starter is 122748.
I would greatly appreciate any help telling me what I have. I'm going tonrestore it cuz it's huge and looks like it would float down the road.
Thank you in advance for any input.[PROCESSING IMAGE.... PLEASE WAIT]
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  20231217_130507.jpg (9,807.90 KB)
226719_65d523eecc018.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 2/19 12:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Not sure what I have exactly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Any limousine has the partition glass but the same body was used without it as a long wheelbase sedan. The long wheelbase sedans were very popular as mourner’s cars for funeral homes but could be used by a large family or anyone who doesn’t need or want a partition! Packard and every other make differentiates the long wheelbase limousines from the sedans.

Incidentally, only one of your photos loaded as you submitted before it had completed. If there was another, please go back and edit to add it!

Posted on: 2/19 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 2271 number on the body ID tag you found would indicate it is a 22nd series 48 to mid 49 production 7 passenger Deluxe Super Eight Sedan or commonly called the long wheel base sedan and is built on the 2222 chassis. For all the pertinent as introduced mechanical specifications on the 2222 chassis and a body wiring diagram for that model if different from a stock 6 passenger sedan check out the Dec 15, 1947 service counselor. For additional specs on the build and trim features of the car check out the 1948 sales fact or data book.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/19 13:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To add to what Howard said, if there is a -9- in the body tag (2271-9-XXXX), then it is a 22nd series 1949 model year car. As your doesn’t have it, it is 1948.

As for the engine number, it should start with a letter and the system can’t find it without the letter. Be sure you’re looking at the actual engine number which is stamped into the flat boss rather than some other number that is cast into the block.

Posted on: 2/19 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
What a long ship!

Posted on: 2/19 14:03
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave1970,

to PackardInfo.

Now your Packard has been identified as a '48 Super Deluxe Eight Long WB Sedan I invite you to include it in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2/19 15:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave1970
See User information
Thanks for the info Don, I did get the other picture up there.

Posted on: 2/20 17:15
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave1970
See User information
Thanks for the help. I've been trying to find stuff on the internet but it's kind of confusing. Some places say it's the touring sedan, others say deluxe long wheelbase etc and if I put in certain things it comes up as 22xx and others it matches the 21xx. Some 49 features and some 48.
I'll check ou those places you gave me and I'll get it narrowed down to what exactly it is. I'm sure you guys are correct with the deluxe LWB and not touring. I appreciate all the help! Thanks.

Posted on: 2/20 17:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave1970
See User information
There's no 9 in the body number for sure. The engine number has me beat.
I looked up where to find it and it said on the block driver side above the starter. I found one but below the starter. It's stamped on the block but that's all I can find anywhere else. I found on the internet that 22 series start with G but if I put it in the decoder with or without the G it tells me it doesn't exist. I Ccidently put a C in front the first time and I actually came up with a 1923 engine and all its info. Obviously wrong because that was a 4 cyl and mine is 8. That's where I get confused. Some info works but gives the wrong info. And when put in correctly, can't be found. Lol!
I'll keep digging though. Thanks for all the good info!

Posted on: 2/20 17:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave1970
See User information
I know! Like the father of the Titanic!

Posted on: 2/20 17:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved