Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 187

Phat Jonny, Ozstatman, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water Injection Kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Realized a water injection kit came with my 400. I believe they "swamp cool" the intake gases which reduces detonation and you can use much worse gasoline in a given engine.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on whether I should install it? It would be nice to use cheaper gas and not have to worry about pinging.

Attach file:

jpg  20240225_194805.jpg (8,633.36 KB)
225076_65dbe2941fcf7.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 2/25 19:59
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Water Injection Kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Big in the 70s.

Some old hot rod posts should give yeah or nay. .

Posted on: 2/25 20:18
Riki
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I apologize if what I write here is old news, but here is my thoughts:
My understanding was it helped stop pre-detonation (ping) in cars designed for high octane gas that was not readily available in the 80's. My brother's best friend put it in his Lincoln and he found it worked great. If you have a 10+ compression ratio in your engine and do not want to have to use 92 or higher octane these systems seem to work.
If however you have a lower compression ratio and are experiencing 'ping' on 87 octane gas, and your timing is set properly, you may have carbon build-up in the cylinder head that glows and causes the gas to ignite before the spark (dieseling). (The carbon in affect also raises the compression ratio too as it takes up space in the combustion chamber.)
Removing and cleaning the head may help remove that ping.
Another possible step you can try is what my Father-in-law showed me.
Wait until the engine is at full operating temperature and attach a rubber vacuum hose to a vacuum fitting on the engine and put the other hose end intermittently into a cup of plain water. The engine will start to stall so quickly remove the hose and plug it with your thumb. Repeat again after the engine returns to normal idle. This 'steam cleans' the combustion chamber, effectively doing what the system you are asking about does, but a bit more aggressively and only as much as to clean out the offending carbon that is causing the 'pinging'. It may save the removal of the head if the engine is of a lower compression ratio that does not need the higher octane gas.
Whew! Sorry for the wordy reply! Have fun!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2/25 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
We have already created a nice and informative -> channel for the Water Injection Kits.

Posted on: 2/26 1:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any '55 will happily run on regular gas with nary a knock.

Posted on: 2/26 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If it gets below 32F where you live, you may want to reconsider permanent installation.

Anytime one introduces water into combustion it lowers the combustion temperature by making steam which partially offsets the loss of exhaust gas thermal expansion to produce power.
It's an old proven heat balance concept for burning higher BTU fuels so the temperature isn't as hot. We used it to reduce NOx in our HW incinerator. Diesels now come with DEF injection, which is basically the same principle for NOx reduction, only they add urea to prevent the water from freezing.

Related:
I saw Biden EPA is going to try to approve E15 year round, which they were doing on the sly in summer/low fuel supply periods and not telling. FI vehicles don't experience the issues of ETOH fuels with carbs. Some FI vehicles can't use E15, so check around if it changes where you buy gas this year. The corn farmers are happy, but the environment suffers a tad, so pure poly-tics. Right now there's some refining outages driving gas prices, but crude supply is up, so prices should come down later. I don't expect them to be where we like them, crude is still above $80.

Posted on: 2/26 17:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved