Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

288 Head Gasket Replacement
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
After 75 years it is time to R&R the head gasket on my 1949 Packard Standard 8 that I bought last year. The engine was losing coolant, white smoke out the exhaust pipe, and I suspected coolant in the oil pan when I changed the oil last week and discovered some copper colored goo in the bottom of my catch bucket. thinking a former owner used stop leak.

There is no obvious sign of a "blown" gasket but several of the nuts on the cylinder head studs were not torqued real good. The work is being done by a fellow car club member and owner of the United Motors Garage in Bonham, Texas they specialize in antique and classic car repairs and restorations.

Also have the radiator I removed for leaks in the core. Make me an offer, and you probably want to pick it up because shipping will be expensive.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_E5652.JPG (3,808.56 KB)
226248_65e72450453c3.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_5600.JPG (4,809.13 KB)
226248_65e724ae65816.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 3/5 8:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 288 Head Gasket Replacement
Just popping in
Just popping in

scubafry
See User information
Regarding the radiator you removed due to leaks in the core, it's wise to seek a buyer who may need it for their own restoration project. Offering it to fellow car enthusiasts or through classic car forums and marketplaces would be a good way to find a buyer. As for making an offer, it would depend on the condition of the radiator and any repairs or refurbishments it may require.

Posted on: 3/9 2:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 288 Head Gasket Replacement
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
The radiator would require a pressure test to identify where the leak(s) are. It is a candidate for refurb and then installation in a project car or used as a spare. I installed a new aluminum radiator and auxiliary 12vdc pusher fan that runs off a separate 12.8v 30A battery.

Posted on: 3/9 8:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved