Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 185

39Rollson, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Glimpse of the past.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm reading an update bio of the founder of Cummins diesel. Synopsis snippet: In his early years circa turn of the 20th century, while working for Marmon, et al, he developed noted driving and machinist skills.
His family had ties to the local banker who owned a '07 Packard open touring car. Banker did not know how to drive it! He apparently bought it to have his wife and himself chauffeured around and she fired the driver for lighting up a cigarette while driving. Talk about "principled" Packard owners, open car, no smoking? Later, cars wouldn't sell without ash trays and lighters!! Vape cartridges ended that in lieu of cup and phone holders. The banker hires between jobs teenaged Cummins to drive for him. They had to take the Packard down off the blocks and remove all the coverings even for the tires. I guess that's where the perpetuated storage idea of putting them on blocks originates, for the old tubed gum rubber tires? They didn't drive in winter in southern IN both for the snow and poor road conditions. He loses his job at Marmon, etc. and eventually the banker puts him in business as a mechanic and machinist so long as he kept driving for him. A lot of the parts of the day were hand made one off, hence the need for machinist skill. OJT max. And we quibble about "parts"?
He ended up getting all the vehicle repair business for the whole county, as word spread of his prowess, which amounted to less the two dozen vehicles! Today, I'm sure there's more on my dead end street than that. No repair shop could survive on that volume today.
Being on call to drive the guy down the street in his Packard and not having uber, GPS, etc.? Those were the daze. All no more than 125 years ago. We call it progress, I'm not so sure about that. Some yes, some no.

Posted on: 3/14 11:37
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved