Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 Valve Work
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Attaching a couple photos, one showing a sample valve and what it looks like coming out of car that is in occasional use, and current gasoline. I had quite a time getting one exhaust valve out, really gummed up. Other picture is of some sort of lock washer that seems to go between the top of the valve spring and the block. One is missing on one spring. Is this a necessary part? If yes who sells them?, don't see on Max Merritt site? Only have the valves out of the first three cylinders so far.

Attach file:

jpg  packard 6.jpg (94.24 KB)
733_6615a0b5d37fb.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 4/9 15:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8 Valve Work
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Other picture added, thanks

Attach file:

jpg  packard 5.jpg (103.39 KB)
733_6615a0dac147a.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 4/9 15:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "star washer" type item is to prevent valve assembly rotation. It may not be missing, oft times they remain stuck in place.

Posted on: 4/9 15:16
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
The others so far were stuck up in the block, but from what I can see it is missing on this one. Probably been missing for years? If I need one or two where to get? Thanks as always.

Posted on: 4/9 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Give me an address and I will send you one.

Posted on: 4/9 16:39
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Todd Landis
6941 Lazy Sunset Ct.
Las Vegas, Nevada 89156

Give me you paypal information so I can send you a few dollars!!
Thank you.

Posted on: 4/9 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Quick question as I am slowly going through the valves, almost done. Along the way came up with a couple lifters that did not let the valve close all of the way once the spring and retainers back in place. On a couple times stuck a long rod up the tube of the lifters to release some pressure and the valves closed upon re installation. Did this on this particular one and still will keep the valve open just a bit upon cranking. All clearances using the clearance tool are around 032 to 034, with a couple around .040. I am hand lapping back in each valve then checking clearance. Do I ignore the one valve not quite closing, or pull the lifter apart and clean? Thanks

Posted on: 4/27 13:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved