Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 211

DM37, Don B, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1949 2262 Died On Me
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
Hello everyone.

Brand new Packard owner here, so forgive me if I'm asking something that everybody knows the answer to.

I went and picked up a 1949 2262 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan. While driving it home, it began to sputter and starve for fuel. The gas gauge read 3/4 of a tank, but it just wouldn't start. My wife picked me up and we went and got a 5 gallon gas can, filled it up, and went back and poured it in the Packard. I turned on the electric fuel pump - the original fuel pump is also in line with the carburetor - put a little gas in the carburetor, and it started right up. After about 30 miles, it did the same thing, but I was able to pull it into a gas station before it died again completely. After repeating the same procedure, I was on the road again. I was making a turn to the left to get on the main Highway that would take me to the house, and it just died. Even though it is full of fuel, and I have spark, it will not start.

My son is on the way with his car hauler trailer and pick up to take me the rest of the way home. I really would have loved to driven it all the way back, which wasn't too far in total, but it wasn't to be.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I should look for once I get it home, I would sure appreciate it.

Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Oklahoma

Posted on: 4/19 19:59
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 2262 Died On Me
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I would start by making sure the fuel cap is vented. Try leaving it a little loose and go for a drive, maybe it's vacuum locking.

Could also be a bad fuel filter that is plugging after driving for a bit.

Maybe something in the fuel tank blocking the suction?

Seems to me that "something" is restricting fuel flow.

BTW, there are no questions that everyone knows the answers to. We all had to learn! Ask away!

Posted on: 4/19 20:08
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
That's what my son and I were thinking. It almost seems like there is a crack or pinhole in the pickup tube in the gas tank that, when the gas gets down a little bit, it starts sucking air and dies. I don't know where the fuel filter is yet, and won't be able to find out until I can get it up on the jacks at home, but that's also on my list.

Thanks for your prompt and kind reply.

Posted on: 4/19 20:11
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Pinhole leak in carburetor float?

Posted on: 4/19 20:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I'm not sure how the pick up tube is on your car, but on my 53 Cavalier is it right on the bottom of the tank, even if there was a pin hole the fuel would have to be very very very low.

Maybe there is an inline filter back by the tank underneath the car? (Not factory.) Or a filter at the carb, if your car has a filter there.

I don't think it's a serious issue, probably something caused by the car sitting for too long. Gotta drive our cars!

Let us know what you find!

BTW, most of us are kind, you'll quickly figure out who the unkind ones are, so I won't list their names!

Posted on: 4/19 20:22
 Top  Print   
LikeLaugh (2)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
Could be. I was planning on having a professional carburetor Rebuilder that I know real well go through it after I got home, but...sure worth a try.

Posted on: 4/19 20:30
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All the above, particularly the tank cap and a possibility something is floating around in the bottom of the tank periodically blocking the line inlet. If the issue turns out to be at a consistent place and you can pin it down to a specific level where it seems to happen it could be the pickup tube in the tank has developed the pinhole. On later tanks like the one 53 Cavalier mentions there are two known points where pinholes develop. Your tank is a bit different and I don't know if enough failures have happened or been observed to know approximate gauge levels on that style.

The factory filter was optional and of the ceramic type. If installed it would be in a glass bowl next to the carb but a previous owner could have installed something more modern in the line between the tank and engine. The ceramic types have a tendency to clog with microscopic particles of rust and if car had a long sit with no fuel in the bowl varnish and other byproducts of fuel deterioration clogging the pores could be the issue. Even after cleaning it can look fine and pass air if you blow thru it but still not be capable of allowing enough fuel to pass to keep the engine running. If the engine still has a mechanical pump and fuel is running thru it, the bottom of the pump covered by a metal dome shaped sediment bowl contains a screen. That screen could be clogged with rust particles. If you remove the bowl best to have a new gasket or some cork material handy to make a new gasket as the originals frequently do not seal again after being disturbed.

Here is what the pickup tube inside of the tank looks like. Fuel is picked up at the open end of the tube which points down and rests roughly 1/8 inch above a sort of depression on the tank bottom. There is no screen or protection around the tube.

Attach file:

jpg  1003_58e0e23f7c91b.jpg (76.94 KB)
209_66231b0847679.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 4/19 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Todd W. White,
to PackardInfo.

As mentioned by others it could be a non venting fuel cap. See this THREAD which details a similar experience.

Meanwhile, as you're sorting out the problem, I invite you to include your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Quote:
53 Cavalier wrote........BTW, most of us are kind, you'll quickly figure out who the unkind ones are, so I won't list their names!
I hope I'm one of the "kind" ones and not on the naughty list.

Posted on: 4/19 22:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:
53 Cavalier wrote........BTW, most of us are kind, you'll quickly figure out who the unkind ones are, so I won't list their names!
I hope I'm one of the "kind" ones and not on the naughty list. [/quote]

Of course there are no unkind members here, only nice people own Packards, or maybe owning a Packard makes you a nice person?

Posted on: 4/19 23:04
 Top  Print   
LikeLaugh (2)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Todd,
for including your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 4/20 1:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved