Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
301 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 300

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 110 gearbox
Just popping in
Just popping in

Brian Hart
See User information
We are also having issues getting the column shifter linkages back in correctly.

Does anyone have a picture or document showing the orientation of the two arms coming off the box? We're not sure which is in the front & rear attaching point on the box.

Also, there is a front mounting point where the linkage, with threaded adjusters, attaches to the lower steering column. The mounting point is a steel bushing-like bolt that is about 3" in length and supports the forward end of the arms. We might be missing a bracket that these arms 'bellcrank' the linkage? Any pictures or diagrams would be helpful.

Posted on: 6/6 16:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 110 gearbox
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the part number happens to be cast into the shift arms, then 335473 goes in the frontmost one. Going from memory and mechanical knowledge, there would have to be a bell-crank that transferred the up and down motion of the arms to forward and back motion of the transmission and I think it was attached to a shoulder bolt on the side of the engine. I probably even have one somewhere but I’m not at my shop to check, unfortunately.

Posted on: 6/6 16:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a photo from the training manual showing the arms in neutral.

Click to see original Image in a new window

As to the linkage, you can look thru the 37-42 transmission and overdrive service articles for any regarding gear shift sticks, Handishift locking, gearshift rattles etc. There are several photos of individual pieces in various articles that might show enough to tell if you are missing something.

Posted on: 6/6 17:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brian Hart
See User information
That picture already helps, thanks Howard.

Posted on: 6/6 19:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brian Hart
See User information
Follow up question;

There is a large, shouldered bolt at the bell-crank end of the shifter arms that looks like it needs a threaded mounting bracket to support the arms at the side of the block. Does anyone have a picture illustrating the shape and mounting place of this bracket? It would help to find it in the boxes of leftover parts.

Red highlited arrow is approximate location of shouldered bolt.

[/url]

Attach file:

jpg  Mounting bolt.jpg (110.84 KB)
226891_6663ccbfdcd84.jpg 799X721 px

Posted on: 6/7 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sorry, no picture, but the bolt in question screws into the frame, not the block. Might just be a hole there for it.

Posted on: 6/8 6:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if this rather poor quality 39 service manual side view illustration of a late 39 idler would be of any help but I believe the major parts and mounting of the idler assy would be similar if not the same as a 40. Another question would be the master cylinder mounting. Some postwar cars shared the idler mounting bolt with one of those used for the master cylinder but the idler is different so I don't know if that is the case in any of the prewar cars.

Posted on: 6/8 9:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brian Hart
See User information
Wow, great responses! Thank you Ross and Howard (again).

Howard, I did think that the master cylinder mounting might be part of the equation so we'll do an initial install of the linkage (now that we have a few views of the orientation) and see where the bolt wants to be.

We also appreciate the shift linkage adjustment information. That will come in handy over the coming weeks.

Much appreciated, gents.

Posted on: 6/8 11:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The bellcrank is a U shaped bracket, about 3" tall and 2.5" wide. Be mindful of wear in the pivot point, likely candidate for a weld and re-drill....

Posted on: 6/8 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Every wear surface on my '40 shift linkage was severely worn. Quality time with the wire feed, grinder and Dremel to get them all back into proper form.

Posted on: 6/12 23:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved