Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Lowering front end of 55 clipper w/ tl system
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I am trying to determine the best way to lower the front end of a 55 clipper. The tl motor is on a 2 way switch and the car can articulate from front to back, i deleted the stops near the motor. It works great. With the car tilted to the rear the rear bumper is about 1 and a half inches from the ground, the front however is about 1 and a half feet off the ground. Can i chop the pins or fabricate new ones for the front?The "pins" I am referring to are between the arms. Thanks for any insight. I will post pictures when i put the oldsmobile 394 under the hood. I have already restored a 55, now i want to rod one!

Posted on: 2009/5/27 15:02
 Top  Print 

Re: Lowering front end of 55 clipper w/ tl system
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The 55-56 Packard Torsion-Level is essentially a springy teeter-totter (seesaw). The length of the front torque arm links determine the preload, i.e., the loaded static pivot point of the seesaw.

Here's a thread discussing adjusting the height:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1870&forum=3

There are also other threads if you search the V-8 section.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/5/27 15:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
(snip)i deleted the stops near the motor. (snip)

<p>Deleting the T-L compensator gearbox limit stops is <b>NOT</b> a good idea! If the gearbox goes over limit, then you will twist the teeth off the center (sun) gear and ruin that gear if not the whole unit.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/5/27 15:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Second what Craig said. Note the twisted off shaft and bent bar (new piece on top). The gearbox is incredibly powerful and it doesn't take much travel past the stops before damage happens--and all you'll notice before it goes is a slight change of pitch as it strains while doing the deed.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.88 KB)
209_4a1da5e287e9e.jpg 640X288 px

Posted on: 2009/5/27 15:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
You gentleman are absolutely correct, in case you werent sure. After some inspection I have determined my gear has been twisted. So where do I obtain the part in the picture above? Wish I had found this forum sooner...

Posted on: 2009/5/27 18:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max Merritt advertises themhttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ Kanter probably has it too -- but if yours is only slightly twisted, no sign of anything sheared then probably can keep using. I had a 56 Patrician where it was twisted about 1 spline and still worked fine. Just put the limit switches back, adjust properly, and take it easy. Any sign of cracking or tearing, another story.

If you do get a new one, try to get one for your year if you can (55 is part # 445850). The difference is in 56 this piece has a spline removed to provide an index point. The limit switches in 56 are internal to the compensator & operated by a cam so orientation is important for that setup. I THINK but won't swear to it, the 56 piece will fit a 55 but not the other way around.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.02 KB)
209_4a1dda777864d.jpg 1067X84 px

Posted on: 2009/5/27 19:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would just get the complete box and motor as well as the linkage from a '56. I have one on a parts car, but am not really looking forward to removing it.

BTW, I see you and I drink the same kind of beer!

Posted on: 2009/5/27 20:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Thank you gentlemen. Do you know what rear end is in the 55 clipper?Need some gears

Posted on: 2009/5/27 20:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The rear end is a Packard made rear, what gears are you looking for?

Posted on: 2009/5/27 20:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Something around 3.83

Posted on: 2009/5/27 21:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved