Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fonts
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the 1955 owner's manual, the font for the starter bezel is clearly not the same compared to the others. In addition, neither font is the same as what was actually used on the cars.

What's really odd is that the actual bezels have the same quirk where the starter bezel does not share the same font as the rest. (Most noticeably, the kerning is different.)

You kind of wonder why this happened. 🤔

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/18 22:19
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Fonts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
humanpotatohybrid wrote:......What's really odd is that the actual bezels have the same quirk where the starter bezel does not share the same font as the rest. (Most noticeably, the kerning is different

HPH,
, I learned a new word today.......kerning!

Posted on: 6/18 23:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Kerning is a phrase in typesetting that refers the character spacing. It was something I remember first hearing in the late ‘70s when I was the editor of The Pious Pelican, PAC’s NorCal region newsletter. No computers then but I bought an electronic typewriter that could do it, along with adjusting the spacing between words, in order to justify the right side of the text.

Posted on: 6/19 2:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to different vendors who most likely were responsible for making the actual production bezels, the 55 book was probably hurriedly done by using photos from the blue prototype Patrician which was also used in some of the first ads and showroom books. There are articles mentioning the fact that car had a different trim treatment than the production models and customers had asked about the differences. I believe other discrepancies that made it into published print and photos were also mentioned in the Allison interview where he discussed the testing and documenting of the Torsion Level system using that same car. Inside the 55 sort of newsprint brochure entitled Two Great Lines of Cars there are several illustrations of the prototype car without any of the "Reynolds Wrap" on the door and fender of production models seen. Apparently that had to be airbrushed on the photos used for the cover and some of the more prominent photos in the brochure. I think that same brochure has one of the early Clipper model side trims that turned out to be almost a copy of the treatment another make was already using. Styling quickly changed a strip of chrome to a different shape.

As far as bezel spacing, STARTER, SPEAKER, ANTENNA, and AIR COND are the longest labels and had to fit the same bezel real estate as LIGHTS, LITER, WIPER, and finally TOP. I think they did a rather decent job with the fonts in making the different lengths all look as similar and neat as they did.

It would be interesting to know which of the items on the prototype car that made it into published photos were initial styling concepts made in house by the tool and die department, which might have been samples from vendors hoping to get a contract, and if any might have been actual final production items.

Posted on: 6/19 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks for the info, I figured some of that. I did not know that about the brochure, I'll have to look at it again.

The factory drawings I'm sure would show the intent, but I have no desire to get a copy of those.

Perhaps the starter bezels were made by the same company that made the starter switches, or one of their contractors. All the other ones were clearly made by the same company, whoever was doing that captive nut design (even though the wiper and liter bezels don't have it).

Posted on: 6/19 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Typically brochures have a lot of airbrushing from earlier models or concepts. On my 1965 Imperial for example, the brochure shows huge LeBaron scripts on the c-pillar when in actuality they were tiny.

Posted on: 6/19 12:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I found a good amount of differences in that brochure actually, that I did not notice before. Kind of a fun game.

Let me know if you see any more...

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_2GreatLinesBrochure.pdf

Posted on: 6/19 17:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved