Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 123

Daniel Leininger, Ross, DJP-37-120, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 1954 Caribbean questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Slim chance you might find the original build slip taped to some part of the glove box top, check with BigKev for the most likely spot.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 10:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Checking the dash may be an option but there could also be a different green used on dash vs outside. There are several shots of a green/white Caribbean in the 54 photo archive & while those greens appear to be fairly close, a 54 Pacific I had which appeared to be original paint was a lighter green dash & interior vs outside was solid color darker green. I don't know if that type two tone interior vs exterior was an option.

In 54 they apparently introduced after production started a one year only green called Gulf Green Poly (metallic) code J. That color didn't even appear on many paint charts. I think it may have been the one used on Caribbeans, and to my mind one of the prettiest greens Packard ever had.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 10:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did they repaint the inside of the glove box also? (Under the cardboard liner)

If not that should be the original dash color. There may also be original paint under some of the trim areas or other hidden arear. It all depends on the level the car was taken apart before the repaint.

There is no outside source for replacement build-sheets. If it is not taped above the glove/behind the glovebox, or rolled up and tucked between the gas filler\vent tube. Then you are pretty much out of luck in ever finding a build-sheet. The Stude Museum has some of the sheets for 55/56. But nothing for '54 and prior.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 11:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
No luck on finding a build sheet hidden anywhere. However, after flipping the rear seat over and crawling under the dash, I am confident that the upholstery was green and ivory. As a result, that means that the dash paint should be Gulf Green, correct?

There is also green paint under the white behind the continental kit. However, it looks like a darker green than the pictures that I have seen. Does anyone know what shade of green was used on the exterior of Caribbeans? I don't seem to be able to find a code for a two-tone color scheme for green and ivory Caribbeans.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 5478 had a unique green color for the interior PE-2009 according to the parts manual (Introduction section page XVII) that was only used on that series. I don't know if it's the same as the Gulf Green or not. As mentioned, Gulf Green was a late introduction--not shown on many charts-- and I believe it was for the Caribbean. Here is a scan of the available colors with Gulf Green included.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.91 KB)
209_4a2dc25792cb3.jpg 1200X872 px

Posted on: 2009/6/8 21:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you for the information.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 11:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I am currently trying to get the title transferred to my name. I have the old title and it is signed, but because the car was moved from Kansas to Missouri, there is additional red tape.

The previous owner insured the car using M600573 as the VIN and that is the VIN his heirs used on the title at the sale.

My question is this: Is the number from the engine the VIN or is the 5478 2085 (model and body number) from the door post the VIN number? It seems to me that the model/body number would be the one to use because engines sometimes are switched, but the body should stay the same. Which do I use?

Posted on: 2009/6/12 13:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's not a VIN in today's sense, its a VN, vehicle number, and 5478 2085 is the vehicle number for your vehicle. The other number you have is the motor number.

Thus, your car is the 85th body type 5478 manufactured.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 15:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you!

Posted on: 2009/6/12 16:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I assume from your answer that you and other Packard owners would use the model/slash body number even though that means jumping through additional hoops with the state because to use the engine number would not really be proper. Right?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 3:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved