Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 53

Ozstatman, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear axle housing paint
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jgrohn
See User information
I have removed the complete rear axle including the housing from the back of my 1956 Patrician. It had a bit of surface rust, so I sanded it down, and used phosphoric acid gel to remove the rust. Now I am trying to decide if I should paint it or protect it another way (maybe oil).

What did the rear axle housing and diff look like when it came from the factory? Based off of pictures in the service manual, it was black, but was it painted?

I think a matt black paint would probably look clean, however I am a little bit hesitant, because the paint would cover up the original yellow markings from the factory that are on the housing. I don't drive the car in winter or rain, so I was thinking that another way to keep it from rusting, would be to heat it up and cover it with oil.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 7/10 17:01
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear axle housing paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Pretty sure everything under the body was painted either flat or semi-gloss black from the factory. Since it was something that wouldn't be seen I don't think they used nice paint.

If it were me I would absolutely paint the axle housing. You went through the time to clean it up, might as well protect it from future corrosion. Oil or another coating (like Fluid Film) will stop corrosion, but they attract a ton of dirt and dust, and need to be reapplied to remain effective. Paint in your case would be a one-time application and would protect longer, and look cleaner longer, than oil or similar.

When I cleaned mine up I ended up just using semi-gloss black from a rattle can. The car doesn't drive in the rain, but I do drive it a lot. The axle looks just as good as it did back when I painted it 3 years ago.

Posted on: 7/10 17:20
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
They used cheap-o semi gloss black paint.

Can you send a picture of the yellow marks?

Posted on: 7/10 19:08
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jgrohn
See User information
Sounds like painting is the way to go. I went back and looked at the markings, and for all I know it might have been added later. Looking at it again, it's pretty insignificant.
Here's a pic.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 7/11 5:30
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yellow paint is probably the remains of an assembly inspection mark.

Posted on: 7/11 6:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
POR-15 is a super tough paint, and great for this type of application. There is a rust treatment as well to make sure that's all taken care of. You can brush it on and it will look great!

Posted on: 7/11 10:10
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I'm not sure if you have it there up north, but in Germany, I like to use "Brantho Korrux" 3 in 1. It is easier to apply that POR15, for sunny weather cars it is certainly tough enough, and looks good for my taste. I would also vote for a nice coat of semi-gloss black paint.

Posted on: 7/12 6:20
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jgrohn
See User information
Thanks for the advice. Looks like both paints are available.

Posted on: 7/13 2:03
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved