Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is it possible to coil spring TL system
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Is it possible to delete the torsion bars to the rear of the vehicle (55 clipper) and still have the front working? Anyone ever added coil springs to a TL system? Thanks Guys

Posted on: 2009/5/31 15:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Is it possible to coil spring TL system
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
no that won't work. the bar for the front is also the bar for the back. it's one long bar

Posted on: 2009/5/31 16:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
You are correct, Sorry for the dumb question. Has anyone deleted the torsion bars and fabricated in coil springs that you've seen?

Posted on: 2009/5/31 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I suppose anything is possible for a price but why would you? The torsion level system is superior to a coil spring or leaf spring suspension. This was proven when the car was new and remains true today.

I don't know why you want to get rid of it, but it would be better and cheaper to either 1) put the torsion level system in top shape or, if you really hate torsion level, 2) sell the car and buy a Packard with coil and leaf spring suspension.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 17:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You'd be in time, effort, money much farther ahead to trade yours in on a 55 Clipper deluxe which usually came with coils--believe some Supers did also. There are some changes to frame in rear between the TL & conventional springs pertaining to how things mount.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 17:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Im trying to achieve a lower ride, the TL system works fine, I honestly just need to lower the front I suppose by installing the adjustable "pins". I dont want the car on the ground just the front about 2 inches lower. I also had a question regarding the vin. It is 5562-7428, but the car has Deluxe badges that are factory.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Question #1, why the hell would you want to lose the T/L????
Question #2, there's ways of lowering them about 2", you need to give me call sometime and we'll discuss the way to lower it properly. My phone #'s in the Packard Directory under "Eric's Packard Research And Development Unlimited".

Posted on: 2009/5/31 19:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved