Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 72

Don B, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Somehow a 1947 Packard Clipper ended up China lately.... for sale
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Orange-Lark
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

from the photos, obviously it is in China not in the US, despite the plate. And obviously the car made its way to China in more recent years, not sold new there (then surviving being converted into a gas car, cultural revolution denounced as the capitalistic counter-revolutionary, American symbol of hedonism, or scrapped in the '80s after government order, such...is way too difficult)

https://archive.ph/Oxhi0 (archive)
https://www.goofish.com/item?id=564234736493&spm=widle.12011849.WX_taocode.detail&ut_sk=1.W (original listing)
the webpage is archived but not saved properly, the description was cut short.... so I paste the whole section here.

¥
263人想要
6万浏览
1947年帕卡德(Packard)​​​​黑色6缸 1947年帕卡德(Packard)​​​​黑色6缸,3速手排,可贵的是保留原厂了引擎变速箱,发电机运转极佳,车况保持良好,新12伏电瓶,这次有幸从北加州一位白人富豪手里购得,直接开回洛杉矶,一路风光无限,也曾经是科罗拉多州长的专用车,极具收藏价值.这个品牌世界影响力最大,它是1924年至1930年美国销量第一的豪华轿车品牌,销售到了61个国家,它欧洲市场的竞争对手是劳斯莱斯和梅赛德斯·奔驰这样的品牌,1927年时中国国民政府蒋介石以及东北张作霖还有美国总统哈里(1921-1923)的座驾都是Packard轿车。作为高端古董车收藏的标杆,Packard车是最受收藏家喜欢的车子之一,周董眼光独到,从美国海运了一台产于1940-1950年估价在60-70万元的Packard到台湾,让辉煌的Packard魅影在他的车库定格。如果Packard从19世纪末发展到现在,也许能与劳斯莱斯宾利等豪车齐名。话又说回来,作为高端古董车收藏的标杆,Packard车是最受收藏家喜欢之一。1987年一辆1932年的帕卡德Packard定制敞篷轿车以110万美元拍出,成为当天拍卖会上的标王。

typical for an antique car in Russia or China, the seller's description tends to take some liberal interpretations of the history,

¥

1947 Packard black 6 cylinder 1947 Packard black 6 cylinder, 3-speed manual, valuable is to retain the original engine gearbox, generator running very well, car condition is good, new 12 volt battery, this time fortunately bought from a white rich man in Northern California, directly drove back to Los Angeles, the scenery is endless, it was once the governor of Colorado's special car, very collectible value. This brand has the greatest influence in the world. It was the top-selling luxury car brand in the United States from 1924 to 1930, sold to 61 countries, its competitors in the European market are brands such as Rolls-Royce and Mercedes-Benz. In 1927, Chiang Kai-shek of the Chinese Nationalist Government, Zhang Zuolin of Northeast China, and US President Harry (1921-1923) all drove Packard cars. As a benchmark for high-end antique car collection, Packard cars are one of the most popular cars among collectors. Jay Chou has a unique vision and shipped a Packard produced in 1940-1950 with an estimated value of 600,000-700,000 yuan from the United States to Taiwan, so that the glorious Packard Phantom can be frozen in his garage. If Packard has developed from the end of the 19th century to the present, it may be as famous as luxury cars such as Rolls-Royce and Bentley. Having said that, as a benchmark for high-end antique car collection, Packard cars are one of the most popular cars among collectors. In 1987, a 1932 Packard custom convertible was sold for 1.1 million US dollars, becoming the highest bidder at the auction that day.

$51000 asking price? oh well, typical overpriced antique cars in Red China where such items are pretty rare. I saw some '90s Cadillac Fleetwood sold there around that price too, interestingly including some not so nice examples. Because I live in Michigan so I know very well about where those cars can rust, and a rusty one (well hidden by the chrome, of course) around that price even came with a dealership emblem, Oscoda Cadillac... (a defunct Cadillac dealership in the middle of the state) Whoever importing the car would be better off buying a garage queen but obviously the buyers in China may not be aware of the rust problem.

I am skeptical about the claim of the car belonging to the governor of Colorado. It can be a possibility, but given how the rest of the description looks like, it gets a bit difficult to believe. and 12-volt battery?

Also, on the sideline. I tried to see if there are any running Packards in China and it looks like there is none. There are few non-running examples (Aisin Gioro Puyi's Packard. or Kangde Emperor). In the film park near Shanghai, finding one got a bit close. There are many ZiS, ZIM, and few American cars. Upon a closer look, mostly they are Buicks or Cadillac, Chrysler, Ford. Somehow there is a Nash in between! But not Packard as I have seen.

In the same film park, the replica Cenotaph is there too. It was built for the movie, Empire of the Sun

(as in the movie)

(as in real life)

(as in the film park)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54gHF6Fgj0
(The Nash is there, next to an anachronism Chevrolet as by that time the CCP took over. A Shanghai 760 with awful plastic VW bumpers too)

and obviously that Packard in the movie went back with the film crew like other cars (the Lincoln Zephyr, Austin or such)

Posted on: Yesterday 23:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved