Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 137

su8overdrive, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Batteries
Just popping in
Just popping in

dmaxweb
See User information
Where do I find a source for a battery for a 1929 633?

Posted on: 2009/6/2 13:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Batteries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps I don't understand the question, any auto parts store willing to take the time should be able to provide you with a data sheet giving all the various sizes and capacities of 6 volt batteries still in manufacture, and get one for you. Although there are only 3 or so lead/acid battery makers of any significance in the USA, the array of sizes and capacities is quite significant. The NAPA or Delco 7210 is a heavy duty commercial truck/bus 6 volt battery that I assume is still in manufacture and I can recommend if it will fit in your battery box. Any 6 volt battery that fits in the box should perform OK.

Of course you can go to one of the several boutique battery companies and get one that looks like an original with the of-the-era script on it, but you pay quite a bit more for what is usually not as good a battery. And as long as yours in concealed in the battery box, I don't think that expense is warranted.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 15:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
or you can go with an Optima, looks highly unoriginal but again it's in the battery box. Sourcing available from fellow Packard nut (no offense , Dwight)

Posted on: 2009/6/2 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Have people been having problems with the "LOOK ALIKE" reproductions?If so this is the first I have heard of it. Please tell me more.Yes they are expensive. but if they don't show so what, Buy one that fits.Most surely less expensive. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/2 18:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had poor luck with 2 consecutive Group 60 batteries from one of the boutique battery makers. Each only lasted about 18 months, they were both "tar tops" and not inexpensive. Replaced the last one with an Interstate Group 63 which is entering it's 5th year with no problems so I can discount any issues with the car's charging system for the other failures.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Farm supply places keep 6 volt batteries in stock. The local TSC store has three models, a big one a small one and a long narrow one.

If you don't live in the country check your phone book for battery dealers.

Incidentally I know of several guys who use Optima batteries concealed in a hollowed out shell of an old tar top battery. They think the Optimas are great.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 8:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have never bought a repro battery but a good friend of mine who owns a 1965 Oldsmobile has had 3 of the tar top Delco batteries, purchased from a major vintage Olds parts supplier, and each has failed in less than two years. One fizzled as soon as acid was installed. He is faithful about using a battery tender during storage and the car is only used for shows during summer months. I had an Interstate battery in my 83 Volvo for 9 years and the one in my Packard (Canadian made for farm and industrial use)is 6 years old.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 8:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Back in 1987, I was still able to get a Group 60 Allstate battery through the Sears catalog for my first Patrician. Though assembled in a plain plastic case, I got 10 years out of that battery before it would no longer take a charge. (Of course, it wouldn't hold a charge for very long in its final years.) Unfortunately, back in 1989, I found that Sears had stopped offering the Group 60.

Other Group 60 batteries that I've put in my V8 Packards didn't even last three years. I've heard no better from others who shelled out plenty of their hard-earned $$$ for those boutique batteries, including those with the faux tar-top - even with religous use of a genuine Battery Tender.

Some years ago, it was reported that a Group 29 was a close fit, but I couldn't find one around here. Now, the local WallyWorld stocks the Group 29, and I can even find them specified for the 1955-56 Packards, as well as other vehicles that originally used the Group 60, in new editions of battery catalogs.

Just as I pass on overpriced repro tires "made from the original molds" and wide whitewall radials, I think I'll avoid the boutique batteries and give WallyWorld a try.

(Edited on: 6/3 16:58 - to correct battery size from Group 27 to Group 29. BH)

Posted on: 2009/6/3 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
This is one of the rare cases that "you get what you pay for" doesn't hold water. I've found the best batteries to be Optimas, and have them in all my vehicles. Never had one fail yet. And as a matter of fact, when I worked at AutoZone 8 years ago, I had a customer bring in an Optima for a core. I checked it, found out it was just low on a charge, and traded one of my old junk batteries for it. (It didn't matter, a core was a core) I used that battery for 5 years with no problems, and it was already 3 years old when I got it. They truly are the best there is.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
My 56 came with an optima red top and imho, it is EXCELLENT. an extremely powerfull burst for starting, and a great long life for running my police light and siren at shows.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 13:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved