Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

curpack, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Enfield Pageant of Motoring May 2009
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Guys

Thought you might like to see a few pictures of the above event which include some American cars like Packards. For the first time in 4 years the show was not rained off in fact some of us got sunburnt.

Hope this works as it is my first attempt

Happy viewing (hopefully)

Terry

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5L7J83gBUQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5L7J83gBUQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2009/6/7 5:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Enfield Pageant of Motoring May 2009
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Good one Terry. Certainly a great diversity of vehicles on display. How many were there in total?

And just a pointer, when the sun comes out you have to cover up or else you will get sunburnt. I suppose it happens so infrequently you just aren't prepared for it? Here's something from Oz which may help in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjsRtPvoaM

Posted on: 2009/6/7 10:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
An "Enfield" pageant and I didn't see a single .303! Maybe I should come over there and bring my collection to show off... I'm still working on gathering up the bits for my WWII Tommy uniform, so it'll be a while!

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
G,day Mal
At a rough guess 1000 to 1500 vehicles ranging from military, buses, steam engines and cars of various makes.
I did like your cartoon of slip, slap ,slop very apt.
The sun really did catch us out. Today its back to Winter again.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Sorry Eric,
The nearest I can get to a .303 is the old factory about 500 yards from my house which nowadays has been converted into a housing estate using a lot of the old buildings.
They could'nt knock them down as they are listed buildings.
Thats interesting about your collection.Tell me more.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
An "Enfield" pageant and I didn't see a single .303! Maybe I should come over there and bring my collection to show off... I'm still working on gathering up the bits for my WWII Tommy uniform, so it'll be a while!

Eric, I am board member of the local military museum so if you need any WW2 "Tommy" bits (Canadian uniforms are essentially identical) I may be able to help. No guns however as that is a major problem in getting across the border. Dave

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Terry, come over here to the US and I'll let you put 50 rounds through one. I have two Enfields, a No4 MkI, that is fully restored to her former glory, and a "sporterized" version that I bought at a local gun show for $40. After a little work and a new stock, she's a fine hunting rifle now.

Here's a Link to my Picasa web album with pics of my two .303's, the first set of pics is the $40 rifle as I bought it, after that, she's in her final iteration, still waiting a scope mount. The original one is at the bottom, and since taking these pictures I've swapped the magazines back, as the more rounded one is the factory spec .303's original magazine. The sporterized one didn't have a magazine, so I had to buy a new one, and all I could find quickly was the squared off SMLE style. It works, holds ten rounds, and is a whole lot of fun!

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Dave, Canadian would work well, as they used the loveable .303's too! So far, I don't have anything uniform wise, so whatever you come across would be helpful.

As for the gun thing, I fully understand. My wife's aunt and uncle live in Alberta, and I've asked him to keep an eye out for the Longbranch version of the .303s, and he told me that he could get one, but getting it across the border would be a PITA. So, I'm still looking for one of those.

NOW, if Mal could get one of the Aussie Lithgow versions, I'll be well on my way to getting the whole set.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I still have my sporterized No.1 Mark 3 built in 1916. I used it for many years when I worked as a game warden. IMHO the .303 Enfield is one of the toughest military rifles ever made. Pehaps not as pretty, finely finished or as accurate as a Springfield or Mauser but it is still the most commonly used rifle here in Canada for deer, bear and moose hunting and gets the job done. I bought my first one in 1960 for $9.50. Practically everyone I know who hunts has at least one!
P.S. Eric, I'll see what I can find in the way of a "battle dress" for you.

Posted on: 2009/6/7 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I agree on the toughness factor, I remember reading a saying from WWII about the Enfield, and it goes something like "The Germans made a hunting rifle, the Americans made a target rifle, and the British made a battle rifle." When you consider that the Enfield in all it's variations is the rifle that created the British Empire, there's a lot of history to them.

P.S., thanks Dave!

Posted on: 2009/6/7 14:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved