Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: ZIL-111
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
O-D, I agree. I recall that reverse bands in the Powerfite were sometimes a problem but neverthless a tough tranny. I remember a mechanic telling me to always put the car into drive for a few seconds before engaging reverse when starting out to provide lubrication to the bands. I drove several personal and game warden vehicles with the TorqueFlite trans. and they were just about as indestructible as any trans made. My 62 New Yorker didn't have a Park feature only the E-brake.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 10:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Damn, sorry for saying that, but how did I miss the 4 birthday of Packardinfo.com? I hope its not to late to say that this is a event of one of its kind. I hope that this site will provide information regarding Packards in the future.

But to the ZIL 111 topic..
So it seems the ZIL 111 pushbutton system is really kind of unique but not that unique compared to US analogs,right?

One thing I never understand is why the Soviet engineers had to chopped the trim in some not so logic way? Its not just ZIL or ZIS cars, but others as well (etc VOlga) maybe im dryng to see things in the way that they would look logical to me?

Posted on: 2010/4/12 14:38
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
VERY CLEVER!!!! Attach a clock or other gauge to the mirror bracket. I could have never thot of that. Maybe that was German influence over the Russians???? :)

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Small wind-up clocks built into the inside review mirror were a reasonably common option or accessory in the 20s and 30s and probably even earlier. They were often Walthams, sometimes Jaegers on the expensive cars. I'll bet someone will come along with a picture from an accessory catalog of the era.

Auf wiedersehen all, be back in about a week. Bermuda beckons, by ship.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Mirror mounted clock in post #170 above:
Is it illuminated?????
Is there a screw thru the pointed end of the housing that holds the clock into the bullet shaped housing????
Is it electric???? It does not appear to have a winding crown.

I'm asking because i think i recognize the housing.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 21:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably same housing as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/lamp-light-Bullet-light-Original_W0QQitemZ200354158758QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea609d8a6

NOTE: that there is modern reproduction of this lite that is not quite rite. I have an old stock housing currently in use with a standard diameter ammeter and it fits perfectly. The eBay lite was very common during the 40's up thru the early 70's. A slightly larger style was available too but not as common. They were mostly an HD accessory but also used on Indian and others. Only particular such lites marked "Guide" on the top are very expensive. Those not marked are still fairly cheap.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 15:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll blow the pix up and take a look later. Even though it has a lot of "beef" in the rear, look how high the front bumper is from the ground, and how high the front fenders sit above the wheels/tires!

A guess would be a 5th or 6th series but the picture is pretty fuzzy. And obviously with special export headlight equipment.

PS - I'm beginning to question if it is indeed a Packard.

PPS - Don't know what it is, but not a Packard.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
In making a search in regarding some ZIS 110 cars I found this page:http://www.avtosssr.ru/art.php?id=67
If I look at the (pre)ZIL 111 "Moscow" it looks like the 1954 Packard? There might be some information in the text but, my russian is rather to bad to find it out.
[img align=left width=300]http://www.avtosssr.ru/userfiles/041-4(1).jpg[/img]

The drawing of this engine looks like..or maybe is this a Packard engine drawing... I cant tell the difference
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/6/22 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
The ZIL plant is about 10x larger as the Packard plant Wow new this is amazing! Maybe size dose matter?

Posted on: 2010/8/2 9:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Oh wow, this is the first time I knew that the ZIL was a cousin to Packard. I knew they had some similar looks and heard the Russians stole the design somewhat especially with 1960 GAZ (different car make).

Some Russian designs are sleek and elegant in their own way (such as their aircraft) but are terrible mechanically. I did note one in a movie I watched not long ago entitled "Babylon AD" a GAZ in it with a frame that looked somewhat similar to the tubular X from G.M. of the late 1950s with hints of a Mercedes 300 D frame as well. Wonder where they stole the chassis design from?

Anyone out there with ZIL or GAZ shop manuals that may have frame diagrams with dimensions for these unusual clones?

Eric

Posted on: 2010/8/17 16:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved